Posting photos to a forum?

Reaction score
Hi! I canNOT for the life of me figure this out.. just a simple task, post some pictures in my online journal on a forum. In the Microsoft world, of course it was as easy as Copy and Paste.. As much as I LOVE my Macbook (and I do, never going back to PC!!), this one thing stresses me out enormously. I have asked this before and never got any satisfactory answers-maybe I didn't ask right...

What has been said before included Copy Image As.. which does NOT work, as it copies the URL address in my only journal, not the actual pic. Over the last year+ that I have been a Mac girl, I have had to resort to switching to VMWare and posting pics from "the other side". Needless to say, hate doing that.

Can anyone help? please? I will love you dearly!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Posting pictures on a forum has nothing to do with what OS you're using.

If you have the images hosted elsewhere online, simply use the

OP
L
Reaction score
Can you clarify? I have used Shutterfly before and was always able to copy/paste them from shutterfly.com. Now, not so much. So while yes, I understand that OS in itself has nothing to do with actual pic hosting, the problem is-on the MacBook, that feature doesn't work!

I now use Flickr, which, of course, would be the same situation...

And I just tried putting the:

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You need to use the tags and URL like so:

(outdated link removed)

Where are you trying to post the image from?

Some image hosting sites simply won't allow image linking.

OP
L
Reaction score
That was exactly what I did... from Shutterfly.
Let me try Flickr..brb.

GAH! Flickr won't work, either. I get the little blue box with a ? mark inside:(

Is there another way, similar to Copy/Paste type feature? There HAS to be a way to post pics online...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
You can "attach" an image which will appear as a thumbnail under your post. However, it MUST be an image on your computer for this to work.

OP
L
Reaction score
You can "attach" an image which will appear as a thumbnail under your post. However, it MUST be an image on your computer for this to work.
Really do not like that option... a) have to resize pics on my computer first (huge pain), b) can only attach 3 or 5 pics on my forum, meh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
From my Flickr Account. (free) On my MacBook Pro.

(outdated link removed)

Ain' nutin' wrong with Flickr, OS X or anything else. Right click on the picture, copy image location and then hit the add photo link and insert the URL.

Here's an even bigger version:

Doug

(that's my wife btw)

OP
L
Reaction score
DOUG, I love you!! (in a very hypothetical sense, of course!!! THIS is exactly what I was looking for ...for over a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Test pic of my 6 month old :)
4070210413_24d240c89c.jpg

Doug, since you are my lifesaver, do you mind answering another couple of questions?

when you are in Flickr and you open up the pic, do you have to click on All Sizes button to pick the right size from there (i just want the regular medium), or is it possible to just do it from that initial pic opened? When I open it up and right click, I do not see the option for Copy Image Address...
I hope that was clear (and not as mud hehe)..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm very glad I was able to help you out. Very cute kid btw!

And indeed, you do have to go to the individual photos for different sizes. As you saw, my first pic was smaller than the second one. That's because that one is the thumbnail. The larger rendition was from the ones which appear when I click ON that thumbnail (all sizes).

You can do this from any photo hosting site on the net so long as they allow hot linking. I use a few different free sites, for different reasons, though I'm in the process of getting some proper hosting arranged for a website.

A couple of free sites I use and really like are:

1. atpic.com (outdated link removed) Please excuse the mess. I was doing spring cleaning and need to re-arrange the galleries as well as note that a lot of the photos are done with a D300 now. (the navigation leaves a lot to be desired, but they have ftp uploading, so you can batch upload in a jiffy.) The user interface is really nice on this one and slightly customizable.

2. Photobucket Fairly straight forward site with a bit of a cluttered UI, but easy and fast to use.

When you're ready for your own website, you might consider:

Zenfolio
smugmug

And the one I'm currently looking at the most:

squarespace

Anyway, have fun !

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to say, you should see the copy image location dialogue on any photo you right click on the net... As such:

Ta.

Doug

Picture 1.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Doug, thanks!! Your pic of your wife and the shells is VERY cool!

Thanks for the advice on the sites.. I do use Photobucket for my digital scrapbooking pages, and have used Shutterfly for our family pics before, but now switching to Flickr. Still learning about it, but seems pretty cool, and i did pay for a pro acct, so this is our home, now. Plus, I love that I can upload from iPhoto in a flash!

I will check out those other websites, though! never hurts to have good resources!
thanks again! I'm so giddy I can post pics now (without groaning lol) !

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
welcome to the forum. Did you realize that the thread you posted to is more than nine years old? I doubt there is any project to collaborate on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.