Extend MBP display to a TV?

cap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" early 2009:2.4GHz,8GB,OSX10.10.3 & PBookG4:1GHZ,1.25MB,OSX10.5.8 &MacMini:2GHz,2GB,OS
Is there any way to extend a MBP display to a TV? I would like to insert a DVD movie, watch it on the second display (TV), and continue to work on the MBP screen. I have a minidvi to HDMI adapter and have hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable; I can mirror the display, but that is not what I would like to do. Thanks, anyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
if you go to "system preferences" and then to displays you should find a check box to make it mirror or to make it an extended desktop. To mirror you check the box, to extend uncheck the box

hope I helped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yeah, uncheck "Mirroring" in your Display preferences. However, for some reason, movies don't stay full screen on the extended monitor if you're using the Macbook monitor. You might have to drag the corners of the DVD Player window to make it full screen instead.

Reaction score
I have my macbook connected to tv -dvi/hdmi- - I only see a screensaver on the tv. What do I do next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Well, click your mouse to leave the screen saver for starters.

If mirroring is turned on, you'll see what's on your Macbook's display. So if the screen saver is on, that's what you'll see.

Then turn mirroring off and you'll see a desktop with no Dock, no icons and no menu bar on your TV screen. Then you can drag windows and icons from your Macbook's screen onto the second desktop on your TV screen. Just drag a window towards the edge of your Macbook screen and keep dragging. It will slide off of that screen and you'll see it start to come in from the edge of your TV screen.

Think of it as an extension of your Macbook screen, as opposed to a separate screen with its own parameters. In other words, if you have both screens side by side, Macbook on the left and your TV on the right, both of them together make one big desktop. The left edge of your Macbook is the left edge of your desktop, the right edge of your TV is the right edge of your desktop. The right edge of the Macbook display and the left edge of the TV would be the "middle" of your desktop with a separation running down the middle. In fact, you can position a window so that half is on one screen and half is on the other.

To change which side your external display will appear on, go to System Preferences>Hardware>Displays.

Reaction score
Yeah, uncheck "Mirroring" in your Display preferences. However, for some reason, movies don't stay full screen on the extended monitor if you're using the Macbook monitor. You might have to drag the corners of the DVD Player window to make it full screen instead.

Yes, but if I'm correct this would reduce the movie's resolution, because when you do it using an Application's Feature, then it would optimize it.

OP
C

cap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" early 2009:2.4GHz,8GB,OSX10.10.3 & PBookG4:1GHZ,1.25MB,OSX10.5.8 &MacMini:2GHz,2GB,OS
Thanks everyone!

Works great!:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.