File permissions

Reaction score
I have two iMacs. 1 is 10.6.8 with some old soft ware I use frequently, the second is 10.14.6.
Seems the older iMac does not communicate well but has some legacy software that I use on a regular basis.
It seems that I am constantly transferring files back & forth and permissions have been a issue. How can I have my default permissions set to read & write for all on both machines?
thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This quick primer on file permissions will explain how to set/read file permissions on Unix-like systems (macOS and Linux fall into that category). The issue you are facing is that your two machines are unique and not connected to each other through a shared domain. That means that even though you have the SAME username/account on both machines, they are subtly different and as logging into one machine use an account doesn't make you that same user on that machine.

When you transfer files using either network copy or USB drives or whatever, you are doing so as each individual user on each machine and as such the files belong to the user doing the copying and thus you are usually all set.

Rather than giving access to EVERYTHING on each Mac, you might want to go down the path of setting up a Shared folder that you can access on each Mac. You can follow these instructions to setup File Sharing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The shared folder is a good idea Raz0r.

Reaction score
Thanks raz0r for the link, I was finding solution for the same so didn't create a new thread rather commented on this.

Regards,
Sssk Smith

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Glad that the comments from our Moderator helped you. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.