Dead IPad Mini - can I retrieve any data from it?

Reaction score
I have a dead iPad mini (white face) that won't respond at all, even a hard reset (home button + wake/sleep button for at least ten seconds.) I've left it on a charger overnight just to make sure the battery wasn't completly dead.

There are lots of available apps online to apparently retrieve data from a dead iPad, but the app can't see the ipad.

Is there anything else I can do to pull data from this device?

In the past I've been able to remove the hard drive from a failed Mac Book successfully. If I pull this iPad apart, what can I retrieve from it? Anything?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a dead iPad mini (white face) that won't respond at all, even a hard reset (home button + wake/sleep button for at least ten seconds.) I've left it on a charger overnight just to make sure the battery wasn't completly dead.

There are lots of available apps online to apparently retrieve data from a dead iPad, but the app can't see the ipad.

Is there anything else I can do to pull data from this device?

In the past I've been able to remove the hard drive from a failed Mac Book successfully. If I pull this iPad apart, what can I retrieve from it?

Hello Tmhanser - welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some additional information: 1) What model Mini do you have and what iOS is installed; 2) When functioning, what problems/issues did you notice before the above occurred; and 3) Most importantly, do you have an iClound and/or iTunes backup (or 3rd party BU, such as iMazing)? If you have a recent BU, then the iPad can be restored on another device.

You have tried a number of steps w/o success - I final suggestion is to enter DFU (Device Firmware Update) which might revive the device - instructions HERE. Finally, iPads are not easily dissembled, and experience, special tools, etc. are often needed - take a look at the iFixit Website for some of their Mini guides. As a further resort (depending on the age and worth of the machine - don't know?), you can visit an Apple store if nearby or an authorized Apple repair service, such as Best Buy. Dave

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, RadDave.

The device is an iPad Mini 1. No backups are available and this was given to me by a friend. I could just toss it or use it as a coaster but I was bound and determined to get into it, somehow.

One last resort is to take it into an Apple Store or Best Buy. If I can't get it to light up, it won't show up as a device on the USB bus on either Windows or Mac, as I see it.

DFU: this is only for later devices with Face Recognition, correct?

I'm sure an iPad is pretty hard to get in to and thanks for pointing that out. I noticed on YouTube what was involved and the tools that are necessary. I'm not even ready to break into it that way, without the tools. But I thought I would ask! :)

And, if I did take it in to Apple or Best Buy, I wonder what it would cost me to have THEM break into it or retrieve data? And, can it even be done?

I might be looking at an Apple-made coaster here, for my drinks.

Any more thoughts or comments? If I do break into it carefully and successfully, what item can I remove or what would I do? Put a new battery in it?

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iPad storage is all flash and its soldered onto the logicboard (look at the teardown on iFixIt) and as such there's nothing you can take out to power independently to get the data off it. If the device is not powering up enough to even been seen through the USB/Lightening connector, it's really hard to get data off of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
You can try either of those stores, but if you can't show valid proof of ownership, they most likely will not help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And, if I did take it in to Apple or Best Buy, I wonder what it would cost me to have THEM break into it or retrieve data? And, can it even be done?

Neither one will work on it as it's a vintage iPad. And like Ashwin stated, the storage is not accessible.

Enjoy your Apple coaster. :smile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, RadDave.

The device is an iPad Mini 1. No backups are available and this was given to me by a friend. I could just toss it or use it as a coaster but I was bound and determined to get into it, somehow.

One last resort is to take it into an Apple Store or Best Buy. If I can't get it to light up, it won't show up as a device on the USB bus on either Windows or Mac, as I see it.

DFU: this is only for later devices with Face Recognition, correct?

I'm sure an iPad is pretty hard to get in to and thanks for pointing that out. I noticed on YouTube what was involved and the tools that are necessary. I'm not even ready to break into it that way, without the tools. But I thought I would ask! :)

I might be looking at an Apple-made coaster here, for my drinks.

Any more thoughts or comments? If I do break into it carefully and successfully, what item can I remove or what would I do? Put a new battery in it?

Well, being the first Mini (and a relic!), I'd have to agree w/ the others - just a few comments: 1) DFU mode has been around before 'facial recognition' (the last item in the link that I provided applies to your Mini - probably will not work); 2) Trying to 'break-down' the device will be an exercise in futility; 3) An Apple store might do a 'free' diagnostics but as Bob mentioned, you do not own the device; and 4) If you plan to do nothing, then at least recycle the machine (Best Buy will accept them). BTW, what are you trying to recover from a dead iDevice? ;) Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
Tearing into the thing might be worth your while. The problem could be a shorted battery, or just a bad home button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 5K 27" i9 3.6Ghz. 3TB, 8Gb, Vega 48, Sonoma, 15 Pro Max, iPad M1, MBP M1, AppleTV, Watches
As its been given to you, perhaps the charger and lead is not official and may be broken. Can you try another PSU and lead combo to verify this? PS. There is nothing inside to recover....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.