Copying an old Wallpaper photo from iPhone to iOS Photos or Mac Photos

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have, for some considerable time had a dynamic wallpaper on my Lock Screen (currently iPhone X, but I have had it since iPhone 7, I think). I like this very much and it transfers from iTunes BU or iMazing BU to each new iPhone. However, the image is no longer offered as a Wallpaper in Settings.

I was wondering if there was a way of copying this Lock Screen image to my iMac (macOS Mojave), say into Photos app for safe keeping. I haven't found a way of doing this via iTunes and I'm not sure it's possible.

In fact, I haven't even found a way of copying the image into my iPhone's Photos app.

Can this be done? Not that vital. I just like the image, that's all.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you Patrick for your, as ever, prompt reply.

As I said in the top line of my post, I use both iMazing and iTunes. Both retain the Lock Screen image as part of their BU and when I get a new iPhone, the restoration process retains the Lock Screen image - whichever I use.

My thoughts were more directed towards storing that image alone, either in iPhones's Photos app or on the Mac's Photos app. Why? Belt and braces approach, I suppose. The image, previously part of iPhones' Wallpaper options, has long been withdrawn. So if I ever changed that Lock Screen image, it would be gone forever. Retrieval could only be by restoring an entire BU from iMazing/iTunes.

I am probably asking too much, but if that image were in Photos, I could change the Lock Screen image, but still have a copy of the original if I wanted it again.

But thank you for time, Patrick.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I used to search online for iOS ??wallpapers and save them to my Mac. Have you tried searching online?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give it a try, Bob. Slightly difficult to know where to start for 2 possible reasons: it was an Apple Wallpaper exclusive to Apple; and it was dynamic. A firm press on the Lock Screen caused it to transform its shape and removing the finger allowed it to recompose itself.

Nonetheless, your idea is most certainly worth some effort. Many thanks for replying.

Ian

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I now realise that I am using the wrong terminology:blushing

It is not dynamic - that means it slowly changes by itself, I think. My Lock Screen Wallpaper is static till hard pressed and then it speedily changes its appearance and recovers its original shape when the finger is removed.

I am currently searching the Internet.

Ian

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Bob. You were right. When I think about it properly.....and I clearly didn't; where's the best place to start? The Apple Store!! And lo and behold, there are many free apps that offer, static, dynamic and 3D Touch Wallpapers.

I cannot find mine, but I have saved a selection of alternatives in iOS Photos app - for the future.

So, thanks for the kick start, Bob.

Ian

BTW I also found out that if you have any Live Photos on your iPhone, they become dynamic if chosen as the Lock Screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
It won't move but a screenshot would copy into Photos.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice point, Sue. Yes, indeed.

The only disadvantage, given that it is the Locked Screen, is that you get a screenshot of the Time and Date; although one could try to edit out these icons.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ian, would these work and maybe the one you want is in the collections:

Here’s almost every wallpaper Apple has ever made for Mac and iOS
Here’s almost every wallpaper Apple has ever made for Mac and iOS | Cult of Mac
and specifically:
iOS Wallpapers - Google Photos

Also:
Get all the wallpapers for all the versions of iOS and MacOS in history
Get all the wallpapers for all the versions of iOS and MacOS in history - CNET

And if not there, then try these:
iOS Wallpapers - Google Photos

I'll let you do the perusing and searching. That should take up a good part of your day. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick,

You can sleep well tonight. Not only were your links incredible, but I found the very Wallpaper I was looking for - dynamic - 3D Touch, everything.

Thank you, Patrick and Bob and Sue for your interest and support.

In my journey, I learnt a lot of things like using your own personal Live Photos as a Lock Screen Wallpaper which behaves dynamically.

Oh, and lastly, I got an incredibly fast reply from iMazing Support telling me that they have no way of extracting/copying Wallpapers from an iMazing BU.

Allin all, this has been a great thread for me as I didn't think it would spark much interest or reach a happy conclusion. It has done both. Sincerest thanks.

Ian

Believe it or not, I cannot give any of you a Thumbs up - usual reason - spread around a bit. So a public THANK YOU, TO YOU ALL. OF YOU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
It’s always good to hear about a completed solution to an issue. Thanks for letting us know.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.