Reaction score
So...a surprising number of folks have been brave and they have upgraded to Catalina right away.

Here are the problems I've heard of so far:

- One person had their Documents folder moved to Relocated Items

- Folks have been reporting that Catalina won't play various less common video codecs anymore.

- Some have been reporting that their hard drive icon won't display on their desktop even when it is checked in Finder Preferences.

- One person with tons of carefully curated music downloads found that all of his album artwork and equalizer settings were gone.

- Hazel doesn't seem to work with Catalina.

- Older Adobe apps (Creative Suite) don't work with Catalina, and even a couple of the latest ones aren't working.

- Microsoft Word crashes.

- Adobe Acrobat Pro won't run.

More as it comes in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well I can count myself as lucky - was goin' to wait a week but wife was at an evening meeting last night w/ me at home - decided to upgrade my MBPro to Catalina (could always go back w/ a CCC HD BU) - went fine except for an issue trying to get Keychain to sync w/ iCloud (solved) - many of the issues above do not apply to me and a handful mentioned did not occur - now checking 'Music' some of my album art disappeared, so will try to add that soon - otherwise nothing drastic happened, BUT I'm about to go out of town and will wait a week before considering upgrading my other two Macs! Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The relocated items folder is a folder that Catalina creates and then seemingly without any reason tosses various other folders into it and places that on the desktop. Even more troublesome is that the relocated folder is an alias and for some users can not be deleted.

I have Catalina installed to an external SSD and not my working iMac (thank goodness). I beta tested it from there and now the final version is likewise installed to the external bootable SSD. And that's where it's going to stay until Apple gets the glitches cleared up. I'm also waiting on an update to a 32 bit app that I use.

As far as Word is concerned (mentioned by Randy above), it works okay for me. However, I'm using Word from the latest Office 365 release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So...a surprising number of folks have been brave and they have upgraded to Catalina right away.

Here are the problems I've heard of so far: ... ... ...

If you don't mind, I think I'm just going to skip and ignore and bypass anything to do with any user's problems to do with macOS Catalina 10.15.x.

It seems that there are a lot more problems associated with the OS X "upgrade" than those listed here.

I'm still trying to figure out what some of the "features" of the latest macOS are that a user could actually benefit from are and that a user can use.

Anyway, I'm glad to read that some users are happy and find the latest macOS working well for their use.

- Patrick
======

H

honestone33

Here are the problems I've heard of so far:

- One person had their Documents folder moved to Relocated Items

- Folks have been reporting that Catalina won't play various less common video codecs anymore.

- Some have been reporting that their hard drive icon won't display on their desktop even when it is checked in Finder Preferences.

- One person with tons of carefully curated music downloads found that all of his album artwork and equalizer settings were gone.

- Hazel doesn't seem to work with Catalina.

- Older Adobe apps (Creative Suite) don't work with Catalina, and even a couple of the latest ones aren't working.

- Microsoft Word crashes.

- Adobe Acrobat Pro won't run.

More as it comes in.

Hmm, according to this link that I have provided previously: Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps, Hazel does work with Catalina.

Also, no version of Adobe Acrobat Pro has been declared compatible.

Reaction score
Problems I have experienced since upgrading to Catalina: deleted emails in Mail will reappear in the inbox when Mail is relaunched; my external display's screen went black; there is a lag when typing & spacing is erratic. Clearly I erred in upgrading to Catalina so early.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
Hmm, according to this link that I have provided previously: Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps, Hazel does work with Catalina.

[Rolling On The Floor Laughing]

Well, that will be news to all of the Hazel users that I've heard from (I have a lot of them in my user group), and....

to the NoodleSoft folks (who make Hazel) themselves:

Noodlesoft Forums • View topic - MacOS Cataline crashing

A Catalina compatible version of Hazel isn't even out of beta yet.

RoaringApps is only as good as the users who post there, I'm sorry to say. It's not authoritative, though it may sometimes be helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
As usual I'll wait till the bugs have been sorted. And commiserations to poor Hazel!;D

krs

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what some of the "features" of the latest macOS are that a user could actually benefit from are and that a user can use.
- Patrick

I'm in he same boat.
The only reason I upgraded thed Macs in the family to even ElCapitan is because some webinar software we need to use was no longer supported on SnowLeopard.
And of course new Macs typically won't run on older OSs than what they came with.
Security I find is less of an issue for us in practice.

I also don't like the push to more and more cloud services and those being forced down ones throat.
Not only is privacy more and more out the window, one also depends on some outside support which really has no stake in keeping ones data safe and secure.

But each to his own......

H

honestone33

I'm in he same boat.
The only reason I upgraded thed Macs in the family to even ElCapitan is because some webinar software we need to use was no longer supported on SnowLeopard.
And of course new Macs typically won't run on older OSs than what they came with.
Security I find is less of an issue for us in practice.

I also don't like the push to more and more cloud services and those being forced down ones throat.
Not only is privacy more and more out the window, one also depends on some outside support which really has no stake in keeping ones data safe and secure.

But each to his own......

Very good points. In actuality, except for needed security updates from Apple, and software compatibility (including security updates from some of those third party companies), I have not seen anything that I must have in recent versions of the Mac OS. And kudos to your accurate, definitive statement about cloud services. I do not use ANY of them at all. In fact, I don't even use services like Facebook, Twitter, etc. As you stated, privacy is a definite concern with such services (and others).

I have never understood why most folks rush when a new version of the Mac OS arrives. It has been made abundantly clear that the initial version is full of bugs, and third party software compatibility is a definite consideration.

But, as you say, to each his/her own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Personally always do a format and clean install of each new operating system and have experienced solid, reliable OS's from El Capitan onwards This upgrade after upgrade process is a road to trouble.

Only thing I had to do was log into Apple ID and use password and all is well.

H

honestone33

Personally always do a format and clean install of each new operating system and have experienced solid, reliable OS's from El Capitan onwards This upgrade after upgrade process is a road to trouble.

Only thing I had to do was log into Apple ID and use password and all is well.

+1000! Could not agree more! I always do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of a new Mac OS (and sometimes versions within the same one), and the do a migrate/copy all the needed files, folders, settings, from a just completed SuperDuper! backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@krs said:

The future of computing is ubiquity. Ubiquity is the presence of the net services everywhere. With 5G looming to increase WiFi speeds dramatically, the move to more and more online, cloud, call it what you will, services will accelerate. The idea is to have full availablity to all your potential computing needs from any device at any place and any time. So your smartphone, with 5G and cloud services, will be able to do what your portable computer can do. Maybe not the same way, or at the same speed, but it can do it. On the road, need to download a couple of TBytes of data? Done. Away from home, need to bring up that photo album to get a picture? Done. Eventually the portable may be replaced by a tablet and keyboard. Or a tablet and virtual keyboard. Or tablet and voice commands.

It's a bit like when cars moved to keyless entry. Why do that? Keys are perfectly fine, do the job, been there for decades. But today, that key fob does so much more--not just unlock doors, but authorize the ignition to start the car, provide security if the car is stolen, identify who is driving so that seats/steering wheel/computer driving profile/who knows what else can be personalized. Did keys work? Sure, but the fobs do so much more. And now most car manufacturers have a smartphone app to control the car from remotely. Need the door unlocked back where you parked it so you son can retrieve a beach ball? Sure, then lock it up again once he leaves. Forget to lock your car in the garage at the airport? Lock it from your destination. Tesla is even working on a self-parking and self-retrieval service that you can use the phone to send your car to a parking spot or have it come to where you are in a parking lot without you having to walk to the vehicle. The possibilities life-without-keys are endless.

Does having the app on the MBP work? Sure, but in the future the app needs to be where I am, regardless of where my computer may be. And that ubiquity requires cloud.

It's the future. Get ready for it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good summary Jake. I've already nick-named our new Honda CRV, "The Nanny Car". :rofl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charlie, earlier this year I rented a Volvo XC90 while my wife and I and another couple were touring England together. That car had every bell and whistle possible on it. The cruise control combined with the radar and camera system so seamlessly that I would engage cruise control and just sit back. It held to the center of the lane, kept a good distance from the vehicle in front of me, slowed down all the way to stop, then moved forward again when the line moved. Add in the heads up display on the windscreen and the GPS navigation and driving was pretty much done by the car. Add 5G speeds and a bit more auto driving and that would be the easiest car to drive ever!

krs

Reaction score
The future of computing is ubiquity.......

Although I agree with your comments, not that I have to buy into that type of future, I had to laugh that you would chose "keyless entry" as an example to illustrate your point.
It's a bit like when cars moved to keyless entry. Why do that? Keys are perfectly fine, do the job, been there for decades. But today, that key fob does so much more--not just unlock doors, but authorize the ignition to start the car, provide security if the car is stolen, identify who is driving so that seats/steering wheel/computer driving profile/who knows what else can be personalized. Did keys work? Sure, but the fobs do so much more.

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but I read about high-end cars being stolen out of people's driveways every week or so because the keyless entry allows thieves to get into the car in less than a minute and drive it away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, for older tech. But more modern security shuts down the car if the fob is outside range. The thief can start the car, maybe, and jump the ignition to get it running, but if the fob isn't close to the car, the computer will shut it down. And that is what is coming. The first generation key fobs don't have the sophistication.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.