Macbook Pro 2017 - 13"128GB - SCREEN issues

Reaction score
Goodevening,

I got a Macbook pro 2017 with one year warranty, now my little brother used my laptop and it's still unkown what he did to my laptop but the screen is flickering out of nowhere.

Now he has een stupid enough to try and repair it by opening the back side but he realized that he could not do anything and left everything untouched. Now obviously the Apple store isn't going to help me.

Now when I put my finger on top of a specific spot, the screen goes back to normal. Sometimes it stays normal but sometimes it also goes back to flickering.

Is there a possibility to get this fixed my self? What could it be?

Kind regards,

IMAGEP.jpg

IMAGE1.jpg

IMAGE2.jpg

rsz_1image_3.jpg

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Obviously a loose video cable or connection. We've seen this before especially with notebook computers where the lid is opened and closed many times. The connection may have come loose if your brother bumped the computer hard or maybe even dropped it.

Go to iFixit: The Free Repair Manual and check to see how to take the machine apart. You can probably refasten connectors yourself if that is indeed the problem. Or, take it to Apple anyway. But close things up first. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is a known and very common issue with the flex cable for his generation MBP. In fact, Apple has quietly changed the part midway through production. To my knowledge they have not publicly admitted to the issue, but are fairly good about repairing. Schedule an appointment at the Apple Store and just mention that you’ve seen online that this is a common defect and you’d like them to provide a good will repair,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Looks similar to mine where the logic board needed replacement. Simply opening it should not negate your warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Also, you don't need to mention anything to Apple regarding you opening the back for any reason. Don't ask, and don't tell why it was opened. The worst part is this issue is usually the screen needs to be replaced if the screen flat ribbon cable has become worn out because they are both manufactured as one unit.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.