Apple Music: How to add music without adding my whole library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
I'm new to Apple Music subscription. I want to add something to my iPhone or save it so I can listen to it again, how do I do this? If I hit "Add To Library", it says I must merge my library with iCloud. Why? Will this upload my whole music library to iCloud, even songs I have installed from disks (not purchased through Apple Music)? Or will it only do songs purchased through iTunes? I don't want ALL my songs on iCloud, there are too many in my library.

This should be simpler and more customizable. PLEASE HELP!

Thank you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Apple Music is built around two major components: iCloud Music Library, which combines your purchased music library and ripped tracks in one place; and the Apple Music streaming catalog, where you can find more than 10 million tracks from artists around the world.

These two parts live side by side in the Music app: You can keep each separate by only streaming the Apple Music catalog, or you can add streaming songs to your offline Music library, where they can be mixed into playlists (offline or publicly shareable) or shuffled amongst the rest of your music.

These two statements appear to answer your question and are taken are taken from: Apple Music — Everything you need to know right now! | iMore

For more info from Apple itself: Apple Music - Apple (UK) (I live in the UK so that is Apple's UK version; but I would doubt if it is different in the States).

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I hope you backup (Sync) your iPhone to a Mac (although it doesn't have to be). Either way you will need the iTunes app. When you sync your iPhone via USB to iTunes and after you select the iPhone icon you will see a side menu with settings at the top. Clicking on that will bring up the window to check for iOS updates or Restore your iPhone. If you scroll down on that window you will see an option to "Sync Only Checked Songs And Videos" tick that box then go to Music in the side menu and check the songs you want from the Music Library to appear on your iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
Thanks IWT.

Well, I wish there was a way to be more selective. I know how to sync specific tracks from my library (thanks Rod), it's more about the streaming music. Even if I give up on the idea of copying the songs to my library (and just stream new music), is there a way to mark them for easy access? I have to keep searching for the same thing every time I want to hear it. And then it won't become part of my library in the way my phone shuffles, etc. And if I try to add it to a playlist, it does the same thing, it wants to copy EVERYTHING. And there isn't a way to add the music to my library, since a subscription isn't like owning the songs...again it asks me to use iCloud Music Library. (Also, what if you don't have internet access, another issue though not a huge one for me, but it's a problem).

Again, Apple's approach is frustrating and limited, as are many of it's products. Is there another service that is more flexible? Or am I missing something about how this works? In the end I may cancel the subscription and go back to purchasing music (or "borrowing") music.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@RVC1,

Thank you for your response.

You are correct. Apple Music is about renting a product. As long as you pay the rental, you can do what you like with the product; in this case music.

And you have access to 30+ million albums of music. You can search, select music according to genre, artist etc. Or you can sit back and let the "landlord" (Apple) suggest music based on your likes/dislikes.

It's akin to renting a house or other property. You can stay there as long as you pay the rent. Of course Apple acts as an advisor not just a landlord; but when you quit paying, you're out.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I got a little tired of Apple's "all or nothing" approach to music some time ago not to mention the cost. I started using Spotify because it also gave me access to iTunes Music files and have not looked back since then. The process is similar to Music, it still costs me a monthly subscription, it makes suggestions based on my preferences, it allows me to either live stream or download for off line play, has a huge library, allows audio search linking from Shazam, all in all the two products are very similar right down to the price.
Where Spotify shines is in its recommendations and display and I like how I can manage my library via the online site. It just comes down to personal preference in the end and once you have committed to one or the other you're sort of locked in. Check this comparison of the two;
We compared Spotify and Apple Music subscriptions — and the winner is clear | Business Insider

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.