Apple Music Problems on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Morning all

I subscribe to Apple Music and listen across my three devices:

iMac
MBP
iPhone

Just today I'm unable to stream music or listen to music I've downloaded - but ONLY on my iMac. Music I've put into iTunes myself plays fine, and Apple Music plays just fine on my MBP and iPhone.

However, on my iMac, when I try to listen via a stream or to music I've downloaded, it just won't play. iTunes just rapidly skips through each track on an album or for an entire artist.

I can still download albums via my iMac just fine (so it doesn't appear to be an account issue), but then they won't play on my imac. My iMac and MBP are configured identically, so I've no idea why I have this issue on my iMac only.

A search has revealed this problem from a couple of years ago, and hinted that using a certain DNS would help. I tried that solution but to no avail.

I'm completely up to date with iTunes.

Any ideas?

thanks, Nick

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Well I guess no one else has experienced this.

But for info, the issue seems to be fixed.

The solution was to sign out of and back into Apple Music several times (I lost count) and I'm now able to stream music on my iMac again :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Nick

I withheld responding on the grounds that cleverer minds than mine would suggest even cleverer ideas.

This is my meagre contribution: I had a number of similar issues with iTunes (not Apple Music to which I don't subscribe). I phoned Apple Support and they tried everything. Eventually reckoned that although my library was fine, possibly the iTunes app had become corrupted.

They had me download a fresh copy of the lates iTunes app and all was solved. Doing this does not affect your library.

It can be downloaded from here: iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple (UK)

Why not give that a shot? No harm, possible solution.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ah, just seen your most recent post. I was typing to this thread which I viewed about an hour ago. Didn't think to refresh the page. So all's well. Simple things often work.

Ian

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks Ian

iTunes is just one of those Apple things that has me tearing my hair out (if I had any that is!!). Photos is another one - synced across all my devices then for no reason it stops working on my MBP, saying it can't find the library. Tried repairing it time and time again, then it'll be fine for a day or two before breaking again. I've just given up on it now as I only use it for my iPhone images anyway, and I can access them on my Imac and iPhone so it's no great loss :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.