Empty trash deletes locked files

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm really hoping somebody here knows what is going wrong.

For some reason, when I empty the trash, the files that are locked get deleted.
It seems like this started out of the blue.

Before, when I emptied the trash with locked files in it, it would say that there are locked files and it can't delete them.
Now, it doesn't say anything, it just deletes everything in the trash, locked files included!

What can I do?

I'm running Mojave 10.14.3.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Are you sure that they are actually locked files as shown using Get Info??

If they are locked, are you holding down the Option key or the Shift and Option while you empty the trash?

Are you using any third party "cleaning" app or utility?

For more, maybe check some sites like this:
https://www.jeffgeerling.com/tutorial/2008-12-02/dealing-locked-files-mac

- Patrick
======

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the response.
Yes, I am certain that they are locked files and that I'm not holding any keys down.
This is why I'm so confused.

Are you using Mojave?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

How do you know the files are locked?

And if they are indeed locked, why are they in the Trash?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And, maybe I'm wrong, but when you first put Locked Files into the Trash, is there not a warning asking you if you are sure you wish to do this?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, maybe I'm wrong, but when you first put Locked Files into the Trash, is there not a warning asking you if you are sure you wish to do this?

Ian

There sure is, at least with Mavericks and probably with every other Mac OS X version:

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 10.51.27 AM.png

PS: I was a bit surprised that the Trash then deleted the Practice file without any warning using the empty trash command, but I think I have that warning disabled.

- Patrick
======

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm the original poster, been having so many problems logging into the forum so I had to create a new account...

I do get the warning when putting the files in but that is all.

I've always kept files in the trash that are locked and when I would try to delete them it would say:
"There are some locked items in the trash. Do you want to remove all the items, including the locked ones, or just the unlocked items?"
Unless I held option down and clicked empty there would be no way to delete locked files.

Is this a change in Mojave, that it only gives you a warning before putting locked files in the trash, and that it it? It will delete locked files?
Or is there a way to go back to the old way, where you can't delete locked files in the trash unless you hold down option? Perhaps a terminal command?

Thanks!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Firstly, sorry to hear you have had problems logging in and having to create a new account. Maybe our Admins could help you with this?

I can't speak for macOS Mojave; and maybe you'll think my following comments irrelevant, but is it not the case that putting something in Trash indicates an intention to delete them?

Of course anyone can make a mistake and it is easy to enter Trash and by Right Clicking on the File, have it Put Back from where it came.

When it comes to Locked Files, you get a clear warning that you are preparing to delete something that was presumably locked for good reason. As Trash is not somewhere to store Files, if you proceed to Trash despite the warning, then I would assume that you have considered the matter and made the decision to delete.

Does one need a further reminder when you go to empty Trash? I know that's what you wish, but it would seem that this doesn't exist. I think the operator has to take some responsibility for their decision, having been give one warning.

I mean no offence at all, but my researches so far have not come up with a second warning.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Mabe check your Finder preferences available from the menu bar with Finder open and see what's set.

This is mine:

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 4.50.52 PM.png \

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm the original poster, been having so many problems logging into the forum so I had to create a new account...

Creating a new account was not the right thing to do. We sent you a reset message so you could use a new password. The forum software will flag you with dual accounts and issue a ban on the account. I will try to combine your accounts to the new name: "booboo2".

EDIT: Okay, your old account "timemachine" has been merged into your new account "booboo2"

Please continue to use the new account as the old one has been deleted.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick

I think the OP has this checked.

It is a generic warning covering all contents. I believe what the OP is wanting is a specific warning that there are Locked Files in the Trash. There is a warning given before putting Locked Files into Trash, but apparently no specific warning about Locked Files when it comes to empty the Trash.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Not sure if I am missing something here but if the OP does not want locked files to be deleted, why are they putting them into Trash? And if they do what's the problem?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure if I am missing something here but if the OP does not want locked files to be deleted, why are they putting them into Trash? And if they do what's the problem?

You're not missing anything, Sly.

Points along the same lines have been made in posts #5, 6, 8. I made the same point as tactfully as possible in #8.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Say, Sly, mind if I join you, and unfortunately, it seems as if we both must have failed our Logic and Comprehension 101 courses. Bummer eh!!!

PS: What was that old computer adage??? Something like: "If you don't know, Don't!!!"

I think it referred to trashing different files that one wasn't sure about Trashing in the first place.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.