Bootcamp Questions

Reaction score
Hello, I am using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017):

Processor: 4.2GHz Intel Core i7, --
Memory: 64GB 2400MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB,
1TB Flash Storage (currently have over 800GBs available).

Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3

My question is -- I'm looking into using Bootcamp so I can run Windows on my Mac.

I have seen a link on Apple's official website - they offer two options for an update to Windows 10 -- An October 2018 and an April 2018 update - using an ISO.

I'm wondering if one version of the update between Windows 10 - October 2018 or Windows 10 - April 2018 has less problems than the others, which would be recommended?

Also, I'm curious as to how much I should partition off to the Windows side in order for my Mac to run more than smoothly on either side.

Plus, I'm wondering how I could remove the allocated amount of space I end up partitioning off to Windows 10 back on Mac OS Mojave, if I so decide to - if that can be done?

I would be playing games off of Steam.

If anyone has an answer to each of these questions, I thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Others may be able to give you firm suggestions on the size of the Windows partition. I can tell you that the Apple BootCamp utility is used to create the partition but it can also be used to delete the partition if/ when you no longer need it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As our Moderator Slydude stated, the Boot Camp Assistant can both create and remove the BC partition.

Since you seem to have plenty of drive space and want to dedicate that to Steam games, you'll likely need between 150GB to 200GB for the partition. That of course depends on how many games you wish to install and how large each one is.

I can't help you with which Windows 10 ISO version to download from Microsoft. You can probably get an idea by doing some Googling to find out which is the most stable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.