disk utility info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini 16gig/Air 2017 4gig
the format options in Disk Utility are limited. Is it possible to add format options to Disk Utility?
Also...can you erase and format from the terminal? Where is some info on that?
I thought I found some free alternatives to Disk Utility but they all are just trials....know any real free ones??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
No, I don't think you can add to DU. What format are you looking for?
You can use terminal, but unless you really know what you are doing you can do a world of damage.
Can't help with third party stuff, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I thought I found some free alternatives to Disk Utility but they all are just trials....know any real free ones??

Maybe try refining your search criteria.

But just curious here, just what "missing" formats are you looking for, and why or are you in the wrong OS forums???

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Disk Utility supports the formats that are appropriate for Macs, it is NOT going to support other formats that make no sense in this case.

OP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini 16gig/Air 2017 4gig
this forum is pro Mac and anti others. I need another kind.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

We are an Apple forum where all the users have Macs and use macOS. Some of us have used or use other OS' for very particular purposes. Be sure to ask your macOS questions on Ubuntuforums and see how far you get.

WHAT other kind do you need? We are glad to discuss your needs if you were to actually share the details.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

As Moderator Raz0rEdge mentioned...Mac-Forums.com is Apple Product focused...so of course many members here prefer Apple products to other choices out there.:) But...we as a group are NOT necessarily "anti-others" (many of us still use "other" hardware or used to use "other" hardware for years & years).:)

In this thread we're discussing Disk Utilty. This is an App written & developed by Apple...we have no control over what formatting formats Disk Utility is capable of. If a format is needed that Disk Utility doesn't support...the easy solution is use a different formatting app that supports the format desired.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

I am stunned at this! Of course it is for Macs and Mac users. I thought you would have got this prior to 54 posts.

Would have thought the bot would have got the message also!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And I might add that, as far as I can determine, about 60% of our members also use Windows in one form or another, whether at work (compulsory) or voluntarily because some things on Windows' PCs suit their needs.

We are not anti - anything. But naturally, it is a forum focussed on the needs of Mac users - as the name on the tin says;D

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

I am stunned at this! Of course it is for Macs and Mac users. I thought you would have got this prior to 54 posts.

Would have thought the bot would have got the message also!

+1!!! Quite amazing actually what some people think, if I may be so liberal with the verb. And I can hardly recall any mac-forums member's comments being anti-anything since I've been visiting and reading these forms for several years now.

And by the way, I didn't notice any reply to my #3 post and question which was an attempt to help and possibly provide some information. Oh well...

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What type of Format are you looking for? Maybe we can help you if you fill us in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.