Intermittent problem when trying to wake from sleep - hardware or software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio M1 Max 2022 32 Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD; MacBook Pro 14" 2021 M1 Pro Both on Ventura 13.1
I am running a new (Apple certified refurbished) Macbook Pro (13inch, 2018 with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports 2.7Ghz processor with 16GB RAM) with Mojave 10.14.2. I have had this since mid December and 3 times it has failed to wake up from sleep. It is not a black screen that faces me but one that is chequered with a series of horizontal and vertical lines of 3 different colours. Switching it off and on again sorts it out with no apparent problem. I am not certain whether this is a hardware problem or an OS problem so I may possibly be in the wrong forum!!

When I put the laptop down for a longer period, I leave it connected to a power supply and these 3 problems have occurred when it is put down for a long time ie overnight or when I have done something else for a few hours.

It is the usual problem with intermittent faults. How do I attempt to resolve it? I would appreciate guidance particularly on how to tell whether it is hardware or the OS.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
One way to isolate hardware/software issues is to boot the Mac into safe mode and then let it normally go to sleep and see if you can wake it up. If things fail, reduce the apps that are running and see what happens. If things work fine, then it's not (likely) a hardware issue but rather a software one. In this case, boot back into normal mode and reduce the apps one by one and see if you can isolate it to an app.

Also ensure that all of your apps are up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I would contact Apple. They can help diagnose the issue over the internet. Or, if you're lucky enough to have an Apple close by, set up an appointment there to have them look at it, https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Macbook Pro (13inch, 2018 with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports 2.7Ghz processor with 16GB RAM) with Mojave 10.14.2. I have had this since mid December

Then you can add it or update your Your Mac's Specs info.

And you might want to try downloading and running the MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 COMBO Update.

- Patrick
======

OP
spock999
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio M1 Max 2022 32 Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD; MacBook Pro 14" 2021 M1 Pro Both on Ventura 13.1
Then you can add it or update your Your Mac's Specs info.

And you might want to try downloading and running the MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 COMBO Update.

Thank you. That is an excellent idea (about the update). I have certainly had no trouble on my previous MBPro with Mojave and exactly the same apps. While the advice given in the previous replies is good, given the intermittent nature of the fault I suspect I will never be sure of a result. This gives me something positive to attempt. I will still have to wait to see if the problem recurs but that is what I was reigned to anyway.

I did actually run the Apple Diagnostics which showed no problem and contact Apple but their advice is the same as Raz0rEdge gave. No doubt it is accurate but I can't see it being productive for a problem as intermittent as this one.

OP
spock999
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I applied the Mojave 10.14.2 combo update a couple of days after my last post. I have had none of these problems since so thank you very much for the suggestion.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Nice one, Patrick.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@spock999
I applied the Mojave 10.14.2 combo update a couple of days after my last post. I have had none of these problems since so thank you very much for the suggestion.

Thanks spock999, for your update and feedback.

That helps confirm that running a combo update can often fix some annoying not properly working OS things. And nice that the fix seems to be permanent as it's been over two weeks now since you did the "update". Touch wood!! ;D

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.