Best Flash Drives for iPad Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (early 2015) MacOS Catalina (December 14/19). Updated to macOS Monterey 12.6.1 (November
I need to transfer my photos to an external storage device. I'm thinking that a Flash Drive would be the best solution. What are the best/most reliable available?
Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Flash Drives are noticeably finicky and not the best storage solutions as they all fail.

Best is a user recommendation. For mine San Disk period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Why not a "Home Cloud" device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I need to transfer my photos to an external storage device. I'm thinking that a Flash Drive would be the best solution. What are the best/most reliable available?
Thank You.

Well, you've already received several recommendations - answers to several questions would help: 1) What type of external drive will do, i.e. spinner HD or SSD; 2) What size do you want (big cost difference for SSDs); 3) How much do you want to spend; and 4) Do you want redundant storage, i.e. 2 or more locales (especially if these are photos you DO NOT want to lose)?

Spinner HDs of 1TB size can be bought for under $100 - SSDs are more expensive - there are plenty of brands; I own a lot of the SanDisk products for solid state storage - also, take a look at OWC for excellent external storage products, both spinners and SSDs - I recently bought the SSD below at a decent price. And keep the 'cloud' in mind, plenty of options whether iCloud or others. Finally, if these are 'precious' photos, you need to store in at least two different ways. Good luck - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 9.08.22 AM.png

Reaction score
Best Flash Drives for iPad Air

The original poster said that he had an "iPad Air". Some here have answered his question as if he had a Macintosh. iPads aren't really designed to be used with external hard drives.

The iPad Air has a Lightning port and no others.
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP692?locale=en_US

You will need a Flash drive with a Lightning connector if you want to use one with your iPad Air:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...,k:+flash+drive+lightning?tag=macforums0e4-20

Generally traditional (i.e. with USB or Firewire connections) SSD's and rotating disk hard drives don't work with iPads. Apple sells a Lightning to USB adapter, but it's functionality is very limited, and it isn't a solution.

There ARE external SSD's and rotating disk hard drives for iPads, but most work wirelessly. See:
https://www.hereon.biz/ipad-external-drive/
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/best-external-storage-drives-for-iphone-ipad-3579792/

So, whatever you get, I highly recommend that you get assurances that it will work specifically with an iPad Air, and that you only purchase from someplace with a good money-back warranty, and that you only purchase with a credit card which will help you get your money back if the device doesn't work.

Of course, there are other ways to backup and/or transfer files from an iPad. (Wirelessly over a home or office network, via a cloud-based service, etc.) But I won't go into those unless you want to know about them. It's not what you asked for.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@jmac0408

This article offers four ways of transferring photographs from an iPad to an external device.

One or more ways may be what you are after??

https://drfone.wondershare.com/transfer/photo-from-ipad-to-flash-drive.html

Of course, there are other ways too, such as using iCloud > Settings > Photos > iCloud Photos; where all your photographs are stored in iCloud allowing them to be downloaded and viewed on any/all of your devices. But that may be getting away from your requirements.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The original poster said that he had an "iPad Air". Some here have answered his question as if he had a Macintosh. iPads aren't really designed to be used with external hard drives.

Thanks Randy for pointing out the iPad Air request - my recommendations were not appropriate, so misread the posting.

But @ the OP - you've already received numerous links that should satisfy your needs - but just to make some specific suggestions that I've used w/ my iPads (now on an Air 2) - the first two devices shown below have been w/ me for a number of years; the Kingston Bolt is my newest acquisition - the first two transfer files via Wi-Fi, so no need for a 'physical' connection; the Bolt is a lightning port plug-in - each has a proprietary app for iOS to allow the interaction - hope this helps. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.11.36 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.09.22 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 10.56.13 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.