accessibility software

Reaction score
I am a quadriplegic that relies on my computer to do almost everything. I have no use of my hands either. Right now I am using a HP laptop computer,and I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to operate it. This program allows me to type and edit documents, bold, underline, change fonts, add color, etc.. and it allows me to surf the internet and do many other things all by voice.

I would like to purchase the MacBook Pro, but I understand there is no voice-activated software available to operate the mac anymore. Can somebody tell me if there is a way to operate this particular machine like I do now with my HP laptop or any other way?

I was told that the person at my local apple store that was good at accessibility features no longer works there, and there was nobody that could answer my questions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

The developers of Dragon, (Nuance) have a new version of their software for the Mac but it's rather expensive, $300.00. Also, the Mac does provide for voice input. How well it works, I couldn't say but the Mac does have many features to help with accessibility. I'm surprised no one at the Apple Store was able to help you with that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ManBearPig I'll have some time to experiment with the Mac's built-in speech features next weekend. I've used them a little bit but not as extensively as you need. The recognition is pretty good but I haven't experimented with the extent to which you can control the system.

In the old days if the OS didn't let you control someting with voice easily you could create a script to do it and then control the script by voice. Lots of options to test.

I have used Dragon and it works but some features can be a bit cumbersome. I can't recommend relying on them as a solution going forward though. It seems that they are discontinuing the program.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Sly for the info about Dragon Pro for the Mac. I went to their site store and they still have it for sale for $300.00 along with the PC version. I wonder why they haven't taken down the store advertisement if they intend to discontinue the program?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give Randy credit for noticing that one. I've been using voice recognition on the Mac since the ViaVoice days. I have beeen using Dragon less often recently and thus haven't spent the bucks on the upgrade. I decided I wasn't going to upgrade until I had time to fully test the built-in speech recognition on the Mac.

Now that Nuance is apparently discontinuing the program I really can't juatify the cost and certainly can't recommend it.

OP
M
Reaction score
controlling computer by voice

I am a quadriplegic and I have no movement of my hands to operate the computer. I have been watching many videos on YouTube of people using their voice to dictate into documents. I was wondering is there a way to control the entire computer by voice. I will need to be able to surf the Internet and type documents. when I surf the Internet I will need to be able to scroll through pages and be able to click on links all by voice. When I do my documents I will need to be able to change fonts, along with font size, bold and unbold words,along with many other things.

Right now I am using a Windows computer and I am using a program that allows me to operate my computer entirely by voice. They do not make this program for the Mac.

I have not bought the computer that I would like to get yet because I do not want to spend the money on a new computer and not be able to operate it. The computer I would like to get his the new MacBook Pro.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Combined both threads into one. Please do not start a new thread.

We have provided you with answers in your first thread. Please read thru them again.

Reaction score
I am a quadriplegic and I have no movement of my hands to operate the computer. I have been watching many videos on YouTube of people using their voice to dictate into documents. I was wondering is there a way to control the entire computer by voice.

With the discontinuation of Dragon for the Mac, full control of your Macintosh using speech alone is no longer possible.

There is a useful thread on this on Tidbits Talk:

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/nuance-discontinues-dragon-for-mac/6416

The last post in the above thread gives several great suggestions on how to get Apple to rectify this situation.

Have a look at this PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5iu9xsjgw...te&utm_source=sendgrid email&utm_medium=email

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.