Leaving MBP on power supply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
Is it considered better to leave the laptop plugged in while using it or, run it on battery until it needs to be recharged? [Or maybe some combination of the two that maximizes battery life.]

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If an MBP is plugged in, it will charge the battery that is not at 100% while using power from the mains. Once the battery is charged, the power remains on the mains it doesn't not stress the battery. So no harm of overcharging your battery by being plugged in all the time.

The one thing you need to remember is that these batteries need to be worked out to be able to maintain their ability to hold a charge. Otherwise, they tend to get lethargic and won't hold a charge when you need them. So while you don't need to constantly plug and unplug the charger, you should try to use the computer on the battery often enough for it to deplete a bit and be charged back up again.

During my work day I tend to leave my MBP plugged in. Once I go home, I use the machine for an hour or two at night purely on battery and it gets down to about 60% in that time. I then plug it back in the next day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Is it considered better to leave the laptop plugged in while using it or, run it on battery until it needs to be recharged? [Or maybe some combination of the two that maximizes battery life.]

Hello - you've already received some great advice and the Apple link provided answers many questions. For myself, I usually leave my two Apple laptops plugged into power when using - occasionally, I will let their batteries run down nearly an entire cycle, then recharge - one rationale is to recalibrate the monitoring features of the battery, although I'm not sure that more modern Li Ion batteries need that periodic power exhaustion?

Now, you should know how to check your 'battery health' - there are a number of options, such as: 1) Option Key + Battery icon in menu bar - condition will be given; 2) System Information -> Power will display a lot of your battery's stats, such as 'cycle count' & 'full charge capacity'; and 3) Coconut Battery, a free DL at the link provided - pic below from this recent article on battery health - note that cycles used is shown & battery health of 81.1% (i.e. current charge capacity/design capacity or 7098 mAh/8755 mAh). Modern batteries used by Apple should provide 1000 cycles - and 80-100% battery health is considered 'good' condition. Dave :)

x4coconutbattery-541x1024.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.4ihGrbPim2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.