Safari bookmarks behavior different in Mojave??

Reaction score
I recently updated my iMac from Yosemite to Mojave. Before the update, when I added a bookmark to be stored under "Favorites", the new bookmark appeared at the top of "Favorites". Since the update, new "Favorites" bookmarks seem to appear at the bottom. Is there any way to make this revert to the way it was under Yosemite (new bookmarks at top), which would be far preferable? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far back as I can remember, new bookmarks in Safari always went to the bottom of the pile. Anyway, Safari has a new option for bookmarks. If you click on the upper menu item in Safari to show bookmarks in the side bar, you can then right click on a bookmark folder and sort it either by "name or address". Perhaps that would be a better way and will keep all your bookmark folders sorted the same way.

OP
A
Reaction score
I haven't found any mention online of Safari bookmarks appearing (as mine were until Mojave) in date order with most recent on top. Since I fear that other Macusers will think I'm crazy, I'm attaching a screenshot from my Safari. You'll have to believe me when I solemnly swear that the bookmarks you see are in the order I've described: the Sonos Connect manual was the last page I bookmarked before I emigrated from Yosemite to Mojave (because the new Sonos Mac controller doesn't work in Yosemite)....and so on, down the entire list, with post-Mojave bookmarks (not shown) appearing at the bottom. As I said, I would love to restore the "Yosemite bookmark order" that has served me well for the last 5 years. (I'm also attaching the "About This Mac" for my computer.) Thanks for any info.

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 5.31.18 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 5.29.58 PM.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe you. :) However, I've been using macOS since Leopard and don't remember bookmarks in Safari going to the top rather than the bottom. By the way, no insult here intended, but your bookmark sort or I should say random sort would drive me crazy trying to look for something.

I was glad when Safari switched to the new sorting method I described to you above. I keep all my bookmarks sorted alphabetically which in my opinion makes them much easier to find (for me).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
How do you add bookmarks?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.