Recommendations for replacing Time Capsule

Reaction score
My understanding is that Apple is no longer producing and selling Time Capsule (and phasing out AirPort Extreme). If true, looking forward, I need to have a plan for replacing my TC solution.

I currently backup two MacBooks to TC. Also, I have two locations, so each has a TC to backup our laptops. I love the ease and convenience of this solution. Also, the two locations play well together as it automatically finds the local TC.

My concern is that at some point, either my solution will fail or fall so far back technologically that I will need to upgrade.

What are folks considering?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
First - you can back up using Time Machine to any drive you designate for use when setting it up. I use Airport Time Capsules currently for both wifi and TM and probably will until they die. Apple is still selling the Airport Time Capsule but is not upgrading them. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/ME177LL/A/airport-time-capsule-2tb

Second - I also make frequent clones of my macs using Carbon Copy Cloner. I have found it to be far more useful than Time Machine because I seem to be in a constant upgrade mode. :D

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Personally I like to keep things simple. A USB external HDD running Carbon Copy Cloner provides a bootable working copy of my MBP that I can use to stand in for my internal SSD should it fail, run diagnostics and or reinstall my macOS or transfer the contents of my SSD to a new device if need be.
The only thing a clone does not do that TM does do is restore an individual file via an interface like the Time machine UI. However the file will be there and simple drag and drop can be used to restore it should you eg accidentally trash something you meant to keep.
I admit it's not as convenient as TC but if you have ever had to use TC to restore a failed HD you will see its a lot more convenient to use a bootable clone.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My understanding is that Apple is no longer producing and selling Time Capsule (and phasing out AirPort Extreme). If true, looking forward, I need to have a plan for replacing my TC solution.

What exactly do you like about the Apple Time Capsule?:

- That it's both a WiFi Router and backup hard drive in one unit?
- That you can do wireless backups?
- Etc.?

As others have mentioned you can use any hard drive for backups. For me...my favorite TC feature is that backups are wireless. If this is an important feature for you...look for a wireless HD.:)

Here are some wireless hard drives to check out:

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/361227/the-best-wireless-hard-drives

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Great link Nick. I have been thinking along these lines for a while. CCC and a wireless HD would be great. My wife and I could backup everything to one drive but I wouldn't want to put all our eggs in one basket and the same applies to TC.
A secondary backup is still a must in my book.

OP
C
Reaction score
What exactly do you like about the Apple Time Capsule?:

- That it's both a WiFi Router and backup hard drive in one unit?
- That you can do wireless backups?
- Etc.?

As others have mentioned you can use any hard drive for backups. For me...my favorite TC feature is that backups are wireless. If this is an important feature for you...look for a wireless HD.:)

Here are some wireless hard drives to check out:

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/361227/the-best-wireless-hard-drives

- Nick

I don't care that about the integration of router with the drive. What I do care about is that it simply works, is network attached, will find my laptops when they come on-line within the LAN. Finally, if I upgrade my systems, the drive will continue to work. Also, I have two locations, each with TC currently and they play well together.

Prior to the TC solution, I had a RAID-2 NAS solution. When it worked, it worked well. However, any time I upgraded our systems, it wouldn't work until the vendor updated their firmware (if at all). I'm assuming that wireless drives are basically a Network Attached Storage (NAS) solution, which means that there is a software layer that emulates the various network FS protocols encountered. Any change to the protocol or the software that manages AFS for TM, NAS will not work without a firmware upgrade.

Now if what you are finding is that these 3rd party wireless drives work, then that's a good thing.

Thanks all for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.