File counts differ on Macs & Pcs.

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm trying to figure out why my file counts are different on Macs and Pcs. I work for a company that uses both and I have consistently noticed a large difference between the file counts on macs versus those on our windows computers.

Most recently, I have copied the Masters from a Photo Library onto a hard drive. When t was done copying, I opened the folder's properties to see how many files it contained and recorded the information. There were 4338 Files. However, when I took the hard drive over to my PC it read the same folder as having 2660 files. Confused, I thought maybe I copied the files incorrectly, so I went back to the Mac and instead of copying the Masters from the photo Library, I used the "Photos to Disc" program to export the Library. When this was done, the mac said it contained 3426 photos. Now, even more confused as to why this was an entirely new number, I proceeded to move back to the pc to see what it read as. It read as containing 2840 files.

I don't understand why the file counts are different. I don't understand why the Masters is a different number than the total file count in the library. I just don't understand. My main concern is that I am not actually getting all the photos. And I would also like to know which system is more accurate. Should I trust the PC file count or the mac file count? Does anyone know what is going on here? Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. I can't find an answer anywhere.

-Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You never told us, how many files are actually in the folder that you copied, "I have copied the Masters from a Photo Library onto a hard drive."? That number is the base that you need copied. What partition scheme and format is the external drive formatted as? What PC did the files come from, macOS or winOS? What specific version of that OS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't understand why the file counts are different. I don't understand why the Masters is a different number than the total file count in the library. I just don't understand. My main concern is that I am not actually getting all the photos. And I would also like to know which system is more accurate. Should I trust the PC file count or the mac file count? Does anyone know what is going on here? Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. I can't find an answer anywhere.

Both file counts are probably correct. The file count from the Mac includes files that are hidden. I'm not going to go thru how that happens or what the files consist of but it's a common occurrence when transferring files from a PC to a Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry. I didn't think that the format was important information. I'm a tech novice. The drive is formatted as Mac OS Case Sensitive, Journaled with a GUID Partition Map. According to the actual Photo Library, the photo count is 2552 and the video count is 251, which would equal a total of 2803. This number does not line up with any of the previously stated numbers. The Mac that is was copied from is a Mac mini (Late 2014) and it is operating macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.4.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drive should not be formatted as case sensitive as that will cause future problems. And did you understand that the Mac file system includes many hidden files? You might want to backup that drive to another drive and re-format it as HFS+ GUID partition map. Do not use case sensitive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The drive should not be formatted as case sensitive as that will cause future problems. And did you understand that the Mac file system includes many hidden files? You might want to backup that drive to another drive and re-format it as HFS+ GUID partition map. Do not use case sensitive.

That is a excellent point Charlie. I have never used the case sensitive option but always wondered what would happen! Glad you posted this.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, sorry but what is wrong with using case sensitive? That's what my Tech Guru recommends. Also, what is the benefit of formatting as HFS?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi SarahRose

Here is a rough breakdown of the options available:

Hard Drive File Systems

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System), a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - the standard and Apple-recommended Format.
File system used by Mac OS and needed for Time Machine. (Including a situation where your Mac's HD is APFS)
Windows requires additional software to use the Mac OS

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
Read/Write NTFS from native Windows
Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
OS X needs additional software for interaction

FAT32 (File Allocation Table) aka MS-DOS
Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS
You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB

If you need to transfer files larger than*4 GB*between Macs and PCs: Use*exFAT.

Moving forward to macOS High Sierra - all Solid State Drives will/have be converted to Apple File System (APFS). Spinning platter drives and Fusion Drives (Combo spinning platter and solid state drive) will remain HFS+

Moving further forward to the next Operating System (Mojave), in all probability all Internal Hard Drives, however set up, will be converted to APFS.

As an approximate description of the differences and what they mean:

APFS and HFS+ are filing systems on the drives themselves and have nothing to do with how the actual files stored on them are formatted. Think of it as just a new addressing system for your storage device like post office boxes that hold your mail. The box is different but the mail inside is the same.

I think that's the best I can do to explain the situation. Wiser minds may clarify further.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.