WD My Cloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
I am about to buy a WD External MyCloud Drive and intend to transfer all of my data to it as my iMac is now full. I will also back this up to a Seagate Hard Drive. Should I go to the extra expense of buying the Mirrored version of the WD My Cloud?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The WD Mirrored version of My Cloud storage is actually a RAID 1 setup of dual hard drives. You will need to consider whether or not you need the added protection of mirrored storage in addition to backing up to the Seagate. My personal feeling about backups is that you can never have too much. More is better.

You didn't mention which iMac you have. Latest iMacs have Thunderbolt 3 ports which are very fast. It's better to have the fastest connection between your iMac and any external devices especially if you are using the external drives for data transfer back and forth to the iMac. If the drives are for storage and off loading from the iMac, then it won't matter as much.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
I am running a late 2009 iMac on El Capitan 10.11.3. Thank you for your reply thats helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.