Can seem to boot to AHT?

Reaction score
I need to do the Apple Hardware Test. Have tried a bunch of different techniques and none work, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Supposedly my computer (see signature for specs) with Sierra 10.12.3 should respond to the "Restart and hold "D" before the gray screen appears" method. Tried three times with no luck. Also tried putting in the original "Mac OS X Install DVD 10.6.7" and held "D" with no luck. Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you have the original install discs that came with whichever computer is having problems? They are too old for accessing via boot and hold down D. And that OS X.6.7 will work only withthe machine it came with. You should have two discs, pop in usually disc two marked Applications.

With your internet connection turned on, you might have success using Option D, but that will have to be a try it and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have the original install discs that came with whichever computer is having problems? They are too old for accessing via boot and hold down D. This applies for models from mid 2013 only and later.

And that OS X.6.7 will work only wit the machine it came with. You should have two discs, pop in usually disc two marked Applications. Then access Apple Hardware Test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When I tried to do the AHT on my 2011 MBP, I had to hold either "option" or "command" and the "D" down to boot into AHT. I had to do that with Lion, Mountail Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite, I don't remember if I tried with El Capitan.

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
I was trying it with the Install disc. Will give it a go with the Applications disc instead. I did try the Option / Command + D but will try that again too. Will report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is understandable.

Did it find what you were after?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.