iTunes music library location ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Ok I just made a new partition on my 500GB drive, I made two 250GB partitions. One houses my current install of Mountain Lion and the other is where I store my pictures and want to put my iTunes library there. How do I do this? I know I can just copy the folder over there but how do I get iTunes to use that library over the one on the first partition?

And you might be wondering why I even want to do this. Well I like trying out different versions of OS X. My iMac originally came with Mountain Lion but I quickly formatted and put a clean install of Mavericks on it. Liked it a lot but decided to try Yosemite so did a clean install of Yosemite. Liked it but I did think my iMac could run faster so did a clean install of Mountain Lion again. Everytime I had to backup all my stuff to an external hard drive but this is such a long process. I created a second partition so I won't have to do this again when I decide to do a clean install of El Capitan.

Is this easy to do?

24" iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500GB 7200RPM | Radeon HD 2600 Pro | 8x SuperDrive | OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, there is an option at the top to change the location for iTunes' library.

M

MacInWin

To expand on what vansmith said, changing the location in preferences won't move the library itself, you'll have to copy the library from where it is now to that new location, then change the location as he said. Test it to make sure you're happy and then you can delete the old library to recover the space.

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Ok thanks, will do that.

C

chas_m

How I would do this:

1. Copy (not move!) the iTunes library to the new location.
2. Open iTunes with the option key held down.
3. You will get a request to either open an existing library (pick this one) or create a new library.
4. Point to the new location.
5. This is now the default location until you change it again.
6. Once you are confident that everything is working as normal, you can delete the original library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.