Help Needed Pls - External USB Hard Drive Not Recognized on OS X Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" ibook G4 1.2Ghz, 30 GB HDD, 1.25GB Ram, DVD/CDRW Combi Drive, Bluetooth & Airport Extreme inside
Hello Forum members/Non Members

I'm just wondering whether their is some kind of fix or patch available for this issue? or maybe i'm doing something wrong? and some of the more experienced members of the Mac community could offer some help or suggestions.

(Thank you)

Well anyway, basically as I've written in the title of this post really, my external USB 2.0 Hard Drive isn't being mounted on my desktop when plugged into my iBook.

Additionally, I fail to see any recognizable sign of it whatsoever on my Mac desktop.

I have formatted the 40gb external drive on my windows 2000 box using Fat32 but still no luck with iBook recognizing it.

I have also tried plugging the drive into the iBook having deleted the whole drive partition in windows (unformatted disc) but still no luck.

Hope someone can help as i'd really like to be able to use my external drive for backup and storage purposes because my 30gb drive on iBook is almost full!

Please help...

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Can you see the disk when running the disk utility application. If so try mounting it there.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" ibook G4 1.2Ghz, 30 GB HDD, 1.25GB Ram, DVD/CDRW Combi Drive, Bluetooth & Airport Extreme inside
Problem Fixed - USB Drive Now Working!!

rman said:
Can you see the disk when running the disk utility application. If so try mounting it there.

Nope, couldn't see the drive with disk util.

But I have managed to get the drive recognized now on my Mac OS X iBook.
Very simple explanation really. The USB External Drive enclosure comes with a USB Lead with double USB Adaptors on one End of it.

Basically one needs to plug both of these USB Adaptors into both USB Slots on the G4 iBook,it will then power the External USB Drive sufficiently for it to be mounted and work as it should.

So problem on this one fixed.

Thanks for reply

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.