Help with Font problem - MacPro - Creative Suite 5

Reaction score
I have been a graphic/commercial designer for 15 years - on pc and on mac - and I have never seen this problem before. Currently I am on a Mac Pro that is about one year old.

My fonts on the entire adobe creative suite (CS5) are.. well look at the darn things. http://i.imgur.com/IBdEh.jpg

IBdEh.jpg

Helvetica Neue - first example (All the sans serifs look like this)- looks like a freaking rollercoaster along the top line. And appears pixelated as if anti-aliasing isn't on (setting it to sharp, crisp, smooth or strong doesn't matter.) 18px size here - Optical and all settings at at 100%

2nd image is the same- just blown up 30% so you can see it up close.

3rd image is Helvetica Bold - same thing.. whoopsy there goes my lunch.

And last is Kepler - Regular (from the full pro Kepler set) not as 'rollercoastery' top line but look at the anti-anti-aliasing and the spacing - between the r and m in 'information' for example.
Again, changing the formatting or anti-alias settings makes no difference.

It just started doing this about 2 weeks ago. No changes were made to hardware/software or anything on my system. I use Fontcase App to turn fonts on and off.

I specialize in Typography and explore it as a major design tool. I am freaking out. Anyone who can help me figure out a fix will have my undying gratitude.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I've seen this before, but it wasn't on my machine. It was one of the Machines that I was using at school. Thankfully all I had to do was move to a different computer.

I would try validating the fonts to see if they are corrupted or have any issues.

OP
B
Reaction score
All fonts validate. The machine you said was doing the same - was it a Mac?

Mine is Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8

And the Graphics Card I am using: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 (have been using this for the past year.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOME: imac 24", 2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ram, 640GB HD.WORK:G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 8GB ram
Is this in all applications in CS5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
All fonts validate. The machine you said was doing the same - was it a Mac?

Mine is Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8

And the Graphics Card I am using: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 (have been using this for the past year.)

Check for any duplicated fonts. I remember an issue similar to this where a duplicated Ariel font was the cause of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I see it a lot in InDesign for small type. It goes away as soon as I zoom in though. Never noticed it in any other program, except perhaps Acrobat.

OP
B
Reaction score
Duplicated fonts

Check for any duplicated fonts. I remember an issue similar to this where a duplicated Ariel font was the cause of it.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I went through my fonts and isolated duplicates and removed them. Now the problem seems to have gone away. Thanks! I still don't know how fonts got duplicated - that's a head scratcher. But things look better from here now.
You have my undying gratitude. That and a buckfifty will get you a cup of coffee. But you have it, regardless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I went through my fonts and isolated duplicates and removed them. Now the problem seems to have gone away. Thanks! I still don't know how fonts got duplicated - that's a head scratcher. But things look better from here now.
You have my undying gratitude. That and a buckfifty will get you a cup of coffee. But you have it, regardless.

I'm glad it seems to be sorted now, Benedictine. I seem to remember that the original person who had this problem said it had been duplicated via one of the Office programs installed on his machine via an update. :Cool:

OP
B
Reaction score
gotcha

I'm glad it seems to be sorted now, Benedictine. I seem to remember that the original person who had this problem said it had been duplicated via one of the Office programs installed on his machine via an update. :Cool:

Ahah! That is probably exactly what happened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.