Connecting iPhone to MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Is there a way to connect my iPhone OG to my MBP through Bluetooth? Also, I want to know if there is a way I can use my iPhone's internet through some sort of tether method on my MBP like when on the road for example. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Unfortunately the iPhone is only supported for headsets/speakerphones when it comes to Bluetooth. There is no way to sync wirelessly as far as I know. As for your second question, although it would be nice, you cannot use your iPhone as a portable router. The only way to get mobile internet on a laptop is through the new Mobile internet sticks. I think that Rogers and Bell offer them right now. You can check them out here... http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=MOBILE_INTERNET

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't live in Canada and that's where Roger's service is. I'll look more into mobile internet though to see if I'm interested at all. I don't really travel too much so I don't know if it will be worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
iPhone supports tethering. but mines a 3g. Not sure if 0G was a typo or not. I thought they came 2g and 3g only. But my iPhone I use the tethering option with Rogers and it works just fine, I use it thru my bluetooth.

I also thought I remembered AT&T in the states or something like that supporting tethering as well. I know they're already going to 4G.

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OG is referring to "original" or the first model with the metal back. Do you know if tethering is possible with this iPhone? If so, can you please elaborate and try to describe how to tether or provide a link where I can find out how? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
OG is referring to "original" or the first model with the metal back. Do you know if tethering is possible with this iPhone? If so, can you please elaborate and try to describe how to tether or provide a link where I can find out how? Thanks.

So its a 1G then? Thats as far back as I can seem to find any info on the iphone. I know that the 1g supports tethering with 3.0 software or so i've read.

Tutorial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Of course this is all a mute point is in the us with a non jail broken phone because AT&T does not as of yet allow tethering for the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course this is all a mute point is in the us with a non jail broken phone because AT&T does not as of yet allow tethering for the iPhone.

How unfortunate. The only other option I could suggest is the following.
Alternate Option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Who told you that at&t was going to 4G soon LMAO...they don't even have 3G completely rolled out yet.

Tethering IS possible with my 3GS for sure...

Reaction score
Who told you that at&t was going to 4G soon LMAO...they don't even have 3G completely rolled out yet.

Tethering IS possible with my 3GS for sure...

Good work !
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Um... what are you talking about? Tethering is possible and he isn't stumped. If you have version 3.0 installed on your iPhone, you can tether to you Mac or PC through USB or Bluetooth quite easily in fact. I however was unable to do it because I have already upgraded to 3.1 and am not interested in trying to downgrade.

Reaction score
^ Um... what are you talking about? Tethering is possible and he isn't stumped. If you have version 3.0 installed on your iPhone, you can tether to you Mac or PC through USB or Bluetooth quite easily in fact. I however was unable to do it because I have already upgraded to 3.1 and am not interested in trying to downgrade.

def...i was using tethering pretty frequantly before they rolled out 3.1. when i went back and erased the profile the other day, 19 new voice messgaes popped up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.