Advice please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Hi a friend of mine is well into apple gear,he gave me a tip today to Turn off FileVault to gain a lot of space.
Should I listen to him?.
What do the experts say
Thanks David

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Tomos

There is some debate about whether FileVault (FV) ultimately takes up significant additional space. Have a read of this debate on another forum where this question was discussed: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/does-filevault-take-up-more-space.687401/

NB Some say that it takes up around 100MB, which is nothing; but there other comments saying "To turn it on or off, you need to have an amount of free disk space which is equal to or greater than the total size of your home folder." I'm assuming that is temporary rather than permanent - ie it is "working" space needed to execute turning FV on or off.

I would pose your question another way - if I may? Why do you need FV in the First Place? Interesting and differing viewpoints on that!

Ian

PS Just for general info: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204837

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Turn it off, regardless; it was switched on when I got my latest MBP and caused it to seize up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi a friend of mine is well into apple gear,he gave me a tip today to Turn off FileVault to gain a lot of space.
Should I listen to him?.

Why do you even have it enabled other than Apple trying to force you to use it??

If you don't work with INTERPOL etc. or some such place with some super secret stuff, you probably don't need it. Oh yes, or if you're really paranoid!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Patrick and Sue. Turn it off and leave it off. Unless you have MI6 data on your hard drive, you don't need it. If you forget your password or passphrase, your data is toast. Again, turn it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
+1!!! Turn it off.

Lisa

Reaction score
Should I listen to him?.

FileVault 2 (the most recent version) uses a fixed amount of space and no more beyond the amount of space your data usually takes up when not encrypted. I believe that in no case is it larger than 650MB. However, it might temporarily use more space than this, but it will soon be recovered.

Is it worth turning off FileVault to recover that much space? Folks debate that. Have a look at this discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/35c42s/should_i_use_filevault/

That discussion offers some good points. You don't have to be a secret agent to benefit from having your data encrypted. Users often have banking information on their computer, tax return data, credit card data, business records, private correspondence, information that would make it easy to steal your identity, etc. And laptops get stolen all the time.

Personally, I'm in the middle. I don't recommend FileVault, but I think that your important/sensitive files or folders should be encrypted. You can encrypt them with Disk Utility, but it's a bit of a pain to use. This free utility makes the process as easy and fast as it can be:

Crypt3 (free)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crypt3/id413756594?mt=12
http://dekorte.com/projects/shareware/Crypt
(Instantly encrypt and password protect your files or folders. Open them with a double-click and enter the password. Not even the FBI can break this encryption.)

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Thanks to all.
Sorry for delay didn't get an email notification.
David. Will turn off nothing extremely important on my MacBook, nothing to hide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.