Need help ASAP Mac purchase fomorrow!

Reaction score
Thread title correction:
**I need help ASAP for a Mac purchase tomorrow!**

I am in between two Macs I found on offer up. I will be picking one of them up tomorrow after my research and question asking tonight lol. I will just be using it for Logic Pro X. Very light recording and producing. I am also going to upgrade the RAM and convert the HD to a SSD.
(Recommendations on size upgrades for both will help! ��)

The first Mac:

Mac mini "Core i5" 2.5 (Late 2012)
Model: A1347 (EMC 2570)
ID: Macmini6,1
RAM: 4 GB
HDD: 500 GB
VRAM: 512 GB
Also comes with:
Power cord
HDMI cord
Apple Magic Mouse Trackpad
Apple wireless keyboard
Dell 2408wfpb 24" Monitor
Cosmetic Condition: 10/10 for everything.
Price: $280.00

The second:

MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.6 15" Mid-2012
Model: A1286 (EMC 2556*)
ID: MacBookPro9,1
RAM: 8 GB*
HDD: 750 GB*HDD
VRAM: 1 GB
Optical: 8X DL "Superdrive"
Cosmetic Condition: 7/10: missing rubber on bottom and scratched up. Screen is 10/10.
Comes with charger.
Price: $260.00

Also, this is my first post on this forum. So apologies if I broke a rule or two.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the money runs to it look for something later with an SSD and better GPU, say 2016 if possible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread title correction:
**I need help ASAP for a Mac purchase tomorrow!**

The first Mac:

Mac mini "Core i5" 2.5 (Late 2012)

The second:

MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.6 15" Mid-2012

The important question here is...do you need portability or not? If you do...then you MUST get the MacBook Pro. If you don't need portability...then the Mac-Mini could be considered.

But in this case (in my opinion)...the choice is VERY VERY easy (I'd almost call it a "no-brainer");)...get the MacBook Pro!:) It has way better specs than the Mac-Mini...and at about the same price...it's the one to go with.:)

- Nick

p.s. Welcome to Mac-Forums.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The only thing I would say, is the 15" MBP models has a GPU issue, it will fail. It may last a week or three years, just ask if the logic board has been replaced?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I would say, is the 15" MBP models has a GPU issue, it will fail. It may last a week or three years, just ask if the logic board has been replaced?

Yes...this is always a concern. When I see something like this (2012 15" MacBook Pro)...and if it's still on it's original logic board...what I say to myself is...

"This is almost a 7 year old computer...if it's lasted this long (7 years)...maybe it has a good logic board...and there shouldn't be any worries." On the other hand someone else might say..."It is 7 years old...and maybe the original logic board may crap-out at any time.";)

Thus it could be a perspective sort of thing.;) Plus we don't know how "used" this computer is. Maybe the GPU failure happens after a certain number of hours of use. If this was a lightly used computer. It could be 7 years old chronologically...but only 2 years old in terms of average hours of use.

Buying used is always a little bit of a gamble. I've been ONLY buying used for over 20 years now...and that of course is always after a very careful inspection of the computer before purchasing. Which in most cases...should greatly help reduce the risks of buying used.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Went with the MBP. Just got home with it and it is actually suprisingly fast. I got it for $240.00!! The screen was wobbly and battery cycle count was at 1200... So he agreed to drop it 20. Any suggestions on which OS I should run? I'm thinking high Sierra might be best?

OP
G
Reaction score
I didn't ask if it's original logic chip. But from the way he was talking it seemed he wasn't tech savvy at all and he is the original owner. Is there anyway I could check? Also besides the OS recommendation . Which should I replace first? The HD to an SSD (how many gb?) or more RAM ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Personally, I would put the SSD in first, then you will know IF you need/want to upgrade the ram.

krs

Reaction score
I didn't ask if it's original logic chip. But from the way he was talking it seemed he wasn't tech savvy at all and he is the original owner. Is there anyway I could check? Also besides the OS recommendation . Which should I replace first? The HD to an SSD (how many gb?) or more RAM ?

Why do either?
You already have 8GB of RAM - I upgraded my MacBook pros to 16GB because memory at the time was relatively cheap, but in practice 8 GB would have been enough.
And if you actually need the equivalent of 750GB in an SSD, that will be pretty pricey.

I just got my first Mac with an SSD and I don't find it that much faster than the ones with a rotary hard drive.
Boot up is definitely faster, but I run the Macs 24/7 so that increase in speed buys me nothing.
Launching apps is faster as well, but again, the apps I use are always running.

What you want to do is a clean nstall, migrate your data and use the new Mac for a while to see if any of these upgrades really buy you anything.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input guys. Went with the MBP. Just got home with it and it is actually suprisingly fast. I got it for $240.00!! The screen was wobbly and battery cycle count was at 1200... So he agreed to drop it 20. Any suggestions on which OS I should run? I'm thinking high Sierra might be best?

Congrats on the purchase:)...the MBP is definitely the way I would have gone:

- Portability
- 2x the RAM of the Mac-Mini
- 4 cores vs 2 cores of the mini (basically double the CPU performance).
- MBP has both a discrete & integrated GPUs.

Yeah...does sound like the MBP isn't perfect. 1200 cycles on the battery is a lot. If it doesn't last very long on battery power...might be a good idea to get a new battery. If it does last at least a couple hours with a fully charged battery...might be a great idea to open up the computer & inspect the battery for any swelling or bulging. When a laptop battery gets this old...these things can start to happen.

As far as the loose display...could simply be some loose hinge screws. Go to ifixit.com...and look up the procedure for removing the display from your model MBP. This procedure should show you where the display hinges & screws are...and then try tightening them (but don't over tighten them).;)

Which should I replace first? The HD to an SSD (how many gb?) or more RAM ?

The 8gig of RAM in it should be fine for a while. If you want to do an upgrade...I would do the SSD first (and maybe the battery). Shop around for SSD's...and see what sort of capacity & price you find that will fit your budget. I replaced the HD in my 17" MBP fairly recently. I went with a larger capacity rotating HD. But I may put an SSD sometime.

Congrats again. I think you got a great deal ($240 a nice price for a 2012 15" MBP with 8gig RAM).:)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Me too, I'm writing this on a 2015 MBP at the moment. Personally I'd agree about doing the SSD upgrade straight off it will save doing a lot of things twice.
Can I ask, was the device at the Setup Wizard screen when you opened it? That is, did you have to setup as a new user the minute you opened it?
If not then you would probably be best to erase the hard drive and reinstall the OS.
Unfortunately a lot of people do not check to see what to do before selling leaving a lot of residual data in KeyChain, System preferences, Startup items, ect,ect.
Not to mention iTunes Authorizations for the device and Apple records.
I've always found it's easier to just start over with a clean slate. Bear in mind though doing that can toll a death nell for an old HDD, they just cant handle being completely re written.
So if you are planning on installing a new SSD do it early. You will see a marked improvement in performance. My wife had to do this on her 2011 MBP due to HD crash and the improvement was impressive. When we finally sold it she was successfully running Mojave with 8Gb RAM but 16Gb might have been better.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks man, yeah the battery just drains quickly. I'm trying to find an OEM battery on ebay now. I think that will be first. This computer is fast, I might give it a week or 2 of using it to decide if i need a faster drive. Appreciate the link!

- - - Updated - - -

Any recommendation on the size of SSD and make?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah ill test it out a week or two and see what happens.

Reaction score
Thanks man, yeah the battery just drains quickly. I'm trying to find an OEM battery on ebay now. I think that will be first. This computer is fast, I might give it a week or 2 of using it to decide if i need a faster drive. Appreciate the link!

- - - Updated - - -

Any recommendation on the size of SSD and make?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah ill test it out a week or two and see what happens.

Here are your options for RAM and SSDs from Mac-sales.com:

RAM
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_1600MHz_SDRAM

SSD
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro/2012

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The size of the drive depends on your use? We do not know how you plan on using it? If you have multiple external drives, then a smaller SSD will be acceptable.

When I got my used Late 2011 MBP (15") in 2012, I switched the 500GB HDD for a 240GB SSD, then I put the HDD in an adapter, and put that in the optical drive bay. I then put the optical drive, in a USB external enclosure, to use as needed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've been ONLY buying used for over 20 years now...and that of course is always after a very careful inspection of the computer before purchasing. Which in most cases...should greatly help reduce the risks of buying used.:)

- Nick
That's a pretty good track record. Maybe you ought to put together a guide for the members on what things to look for when buying used Macs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a pretty good track record. Maybe you ought to put together a guide for the members on what things to look for when buying used Macs.

Thanks Slydude. I think that's an AWESOME idea...and I'm sure other members can add "words of wisdom" to the thread as well!:)

I will try to post something ASAP!:agree

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
+1 for what Sly suggested, Nick. Would love to hear from an experienced experienced machine buyer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool...I'll get on it ASAP.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Creative setup. Nice. Well I currently Have Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power point(light usage), Abode Illustrator(light usage), Logic Pro X (moderate usage) I'm just starting to learn with logic so no data intensive files yet. So far its running like a dream. The only time I heard the fan noise was when i was downloading Logic and Illustrator. Not when i use the software though. I have not had these programs running simultaneously yet. Though I don't see a reason on why I would need to. I only have a 256 GB Sandisk USB. I know for a face the first thing i'm doing is a battery change (through the apple genius bar- $145.00 all in) and getting a new OEM charger. Than an SSD Probably, Any recommendation on size afer that info? OH ALMOST FORGOT... I want to download Age of Empires 3 too..... lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know for a face the first thing i'm doing is a battery change (through the apple genius bar- $145.00 all in)...

Replacement battery from macsales.com (OWC) is $98.99...and should work great. Replacing the battery is very very easy (just need a couple small screwdrivers). You need a small phillips head screwdriver (very small) to remove the bottom cover of the MacBook Pro...and a special tri-lobe screwdriver to remove the battery screws. Lots of screwdriver kits out there...if purchasing a kit...make sure it includes the special tri-lobe screwdriver.

OWC has an install video as well. Here's the link to the battery:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP15MBU78W/

- Nick

p.s. The battery linked is for the mid-2012 15" non-Retina display MacBook Pro. The battery is different if this is a 2012 15" Retina display model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.