Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    sorcerer
    Guest
    Question iam totally scared about swtching...need help
    hi i need some help with the switching part....


    i witness ma firends power book and ....
    my reaction was
    WOW......
    its awsome loved it and i sooo want it .. and u guys knw y !!!!!!


    well the thing i have collected money and have the choice of buying a good laptop for college and iam wondering if i should buy the power book ... but scared that i wont be able to run some prgrams ...my major is computer science and technology.
    so iam worried that i wont be able to run some programs .. that the college ofers me on ma MAC..

    i dunno what to do .. i soo want the power book ..
    please give me suggestion

    thanx in advance

  2. #2
    hokiethang
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer
    hi i need some help with the switching part....


    i witness ma firends power book and ....
    my reaction was
    WOW......
    its awsome loved it and i sooo want it .. and u guys knw y !!!!!!


    well the thing i have collected money and have the choice of buying a good laptop for college and iam wondering if i should buy the power book ... but scared that i wont be able to run some prgrams ...my major is computer science and technology.
    so iam worried that i wont be able to run some programs .. that the college ofers me on ma MAC..

    i dunno what to do .. i soo want the power book ..
    please give me suggestion

    thanx in advance
    It depends on what software the department requires. I know a couple of people who have made their way through our CS program with a mac instead of a PC. I plan on completing my CS degree (2+ years) with a mac instead of a PC. The mac has a number of applications which if not better, are comparable to those available for the PC. Apple provides a development environment that uses industry standard GCC as the compilation engine. I would contact someone at the CS department where you will be attending and ask them what kind of software is required/in use. That information could help us, help you more.

  3. #3
    iam totally scared about swtching...need help
    Fluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 23, 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    454
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiethang
    It depends on what software the department requires. I know a couple of people who have made their way through our CS program with a mac instead of a PC. I plan on completing my CS degree (2+ years) with a mac instead of a PC. The mac has a number of applications which if not better, are comparable to those available for the PC. Apple provides a development environment that uses industry standard GCC as the compilation engine. I would contact someone at the CS department where you will be attending and ask them what kind of software is required/in use. That information could help us, help you more.
    If u have to you can use vpc.

    Here is a thread with some info u could use.

    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...&f=60&t=94547&

    Fluid@Mac-Forums.com

  4. #4
    digirep
    Guest
    Wink Read this ( I found this in my Newbie search)
    Read this below
    Jack31081



    Joined: May 2003

    Can't really say I 'switched' because I'll never fully give up my PC.

    But I ordered my first mac on friday. A Stock 17" Powerbook. I can't wait to get my hands on it. It'll be great to be able to use OSX, UNIX, and WinXP all on one machine...I'm a senior Comp Sci student and want to learn to develop for OSX (already know UNIX & Windows).

    I'm so excited!

    Ordered it w/ ground shipping...any idea on when it should arrive?

  5. #5
    hokiethang
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by digirep
    Read this below
    Jack31081



    Joined: May 2003

    Can't really say I 'switched' because I'll never fully give up my PC.

    But I ordered my first mac on friday. A Stock 17" Powerbook. I can't wait to get my hands on it. It'll be great to be able to use OSX, UNIX, and WinXP all on one machine...I'm a senior Comp Sci student and want to learn to develop for OSX (already know UNIX & Windows).

    I'm so excited!

    Ordered it w/ ground shipping...any idea on when it should arrive?
    To clear this up a bit, OS X = UNIX, and WinXP is only available with a $300 piece of software from a company owned by MS. I am a Junior CS student and have done a semester of CS programming with my powerbook. I had to test all of my code on lab machines to make sure it worked but, that was a minor inconvienence.

  6. #6
    sorcerer
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid
    If u have to you can use vpc.

    Here is a thread with some info u could use.

    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...&f=60&t=94547&
    thanx guys the info really helped .. now that u metion vpc ...
    it makes the mac a amazing concept .. running different platforms .. can you get anything better than that !!!!!!!!


    but the question arises ... nothing is perfect !!!
    well if u use vpc will it be exactly the same as running a normal windows platform .. meaning will i be able to install all windows software .. and will they work fine or .. will some software not work on the emulator ?????

    please sorry for being a pain jus curious.. i am soo desperate for ma pbook.... cant wait ... please help me

    thanx in advance!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    hokiethang
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer
    thanx guys the info really helped .. now that u metion vpc ...
    it makes the mac a amazing concept .. running different platforms .. can you get anything better than that !!!!!!!!


    but the question arises ... nothing is perfect !!!
    well if u use vpc will it be exactly the same as running a normal windows platform .. meaning will i be able to install all windows software .. and will they work fine or .. will some software not work on the emulator ?????

    please sorry for being a pain jus curious.. i am soo desperate for ma pbook.... cant wait ... please help me

    thanx in advance!!!!!!!
    As far as I know, it is a copy of windows with a virtual machine attached (hence the steep price), so anything that works in windows should work in Virtual PC. You have to realize that it is a Virtual machine, and that windows performance may not be as good as you get on a PC, as all of the resources will be shared. I don't have a copy of VPC to tell you more, maybe someone else can chime in on that, but as far as I know, any windows software will work, it just may not be as fast.

  8. #8
    iam totally scared about swtching...need help
    Graphite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location
    Tropical Island, Jealous?
    Posts
    5,279
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Rep Power
    0
    I would say go with the mac, you would be fine with out any new software.. mac comes with plenty preinstalled. Though its nice to have additional software added!

  9. #9
    sorcerer
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    I would say go with the mac, you would be fine with out any new software.. mac comes with plenty preinstalled. Though its nice to have additional software added!
    college is starting in 2 weeks .. abit excited ...
    i have made up ma mind iam going for the 15 inch titanium g4 power book ... i loved it from the first time i saw it ...


    iam getting it at a price of 2299 dolars .. with ma student discount ..
    so what i thought was that ill buy 1 gig of ram and the price still comes to of 2599 dollars ..
    iam doing this coz ill be needind all the pofermence for vpc to run smoothly . hope i made the correct choice and hope i dont get stuck with any windows programes.that i wont be able to run ...(fingers crossed)

    abit dissapointed that the 15 inch dont come with ddr ram ?????

    but as they say you cant have the cake and eat the cake....... or some **** like that !!!!!!!!!!


    neways cant wait to get ma hands on it ...
    ill post as soon as i get it...

  10. #10
    hokiethang
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer
    hope i made the correct choice and hope i dont get stuck with any windows programes.that i wont be able to run ...(fingers crossed)
    contact the department at the school you are going to and find out. They will be willing to tell you ahead of time, so you can decide whether you really need to buy Virtual PC. Thats an extra $300 that if you don't need there is no point in spending.

  11. #11
    iam totally scared about swtching...need help
    Graphite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location
    Tropical Island, Jealous?
    Posts
    5,279
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Rep Power
    0
    You can't go wrong with any macintosh. Though the best deal I think is the eMac (before the g5 came out.. i think its changed now).. Though.. other models have coolness which make them a better buy .. and the G5 well, thats just insanely good buy..

  12. #12
    es89
    Guest
    VPC question (thinking bout switching)
    hi, i'm really interested in getting the 12" powerbook (867 MHz, 60 gb HD, 640 mb ram). i already know that there is a foreign language word processing program that i need to use next semester and its not out for the Mac, will VPC be very slow with this configuration? any advice, comments from current users with a similar configuration? Thank you.

  13. #13
    iam totally scared about swtching...need help
    Absolute Zero's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 05, 2003
    Location
    I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
    Posts
    1,246
    Your Mac's Specs
    PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by es89
    hi, i'm really interested in getting the 12" powerbook (867 MHz, 60 gb HD, 640 mb ram). i already know that there is a foreign language word processing program that i need to use next semester and its not out for the Mac, will VPC be very slow with this configuration? any advice, comments from current users with a similar configuration? Thank you.
    ugh... virtual pc...
    its so... imperfect... and slow...
    but your talking to a guy with only 256 MB of RAM, so...
    Anyways, the more RAM you have, the better Virtual PC will run. SO don't worry. 640 MB of RAM is perfect.
    And sorcerer dude, 1 Gig is also perfect... 512 is pretty darn good. but like i said, the more RAM, the better.
    Im thinking about a PowerBook too... Still thinkin... hmm...

  14. #14
    JazzTrpt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac dude
    Im thinking about a PowerBook too... Still thinkin... hmm...
    Yeah...my dad just got a 12" powerbook a couple days ago. It makes me want one even more. :-D Still savin up though. Do you think they will put the fiberoptics into the 12" and 15" models in the future?

  15. #15
    iam totally scared about swtching...need help
    Graphite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location
    Tropical Island, Jealous?
    Posts
    5,279
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, it wont be really slow once the app is running. But opening new programs in VPC can be slow, but once its going its alright.

    (there are alot of foreign language programs out for the mac, so there may be alternatives)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. using a hdtv as a secondary monitor for an iam
    By snipper5000 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 10:59 AM
  2. Just scared myself silly
    By 95M3Fanatic in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 06:31 PM
  3. Swtching Woes
    By lonniesparks in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM
  4. Leopard problems HELP!!! (iam a newb)
    By hank l in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM
  5. I'm scared :(
    By iphix in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •