Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    .Mac Mail Account Worth ?

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz, 23" Cinema Display, iPod Hi-Fi, Airport Extreme/Express, iPod, iPhone 8GB
    .Mac Mail Account Worth $99?
    My .Mac account is due to expire within 24 hours (my 90 trial). I was wondering if it is actually worth spending $99 on. Seems as though it's not however it would be nice to have a decent base station and iDisk at my disposal anytime and anywhere.

Looking for feedback and general input. Thanks all!!

-Scott

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I love it, but I use the service in its entirety, I syc up my address book, ical, bookmarks, etc, every night. I feel that the service is well worth it, that you should get it if the 99$ a year does not seam out of your budget. For all the .mac service gives you I think its worth the $8 or so a month (seams like a lot less when you put it in a monthly fee doesn't it?)

However, I think that the whole thing should be your decision, and if you would like to read the review I posted about .mac its in the member review forums.

Good luck in making your decision!
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Quote Originally Posted by MiFES View Post
    My .Mac account is due to expire within 24 hours (my 90 trial). I was wondering if it is actually worth spending $99 on. Seems as though it's not however it would be nice to have a decent base station and iDisk at my disposal anytime and anywhere.

Looking for feedback and general input. Thanks all!!

-Scott
    That is pretty much a personal decision but I fully intend to renew mine.

I have had it for 3 years now, never paid $99. Check eBay and watch for sales. If it came down to it, I would pay $99 though.

Your Mac's Specs
    imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
    My trial is ending soon too and I'm still trying to decide. I do like the .mac Mail address, but that's not worth paying for. So far, I'm not really using any of the other services so it may not be for me. As has been posted, I've checked eBay and that's the place to buy to save quite a lot. So no one really has to pay the $99.00 that Apple charges. Again, it's a personal preference and if you'll actually use the services.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
    If it were just for the email address, I don't think I'd pay. Like PBG4 above, I use all the services including .mac syncing of my Safari bookmarks and using it to sync my work Entourage calendar into my MBP's iCal. I also do iWeb blogging (I love being able to work offline and then publish when I've got a connection), and use Backup to keep a few folders in sync between my machines.

Your Mac's Specs
    Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
    Is it possible to upload a video file, for instance, to a .Mac account a and then post a URL, here, so it can be downloaded by the general public?

Your Mac's Specs
    Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Is it possible to upload a video file, for instance, to a .Mac account a and then post a URL, here, so it can be downloaded by the general public?
    Yes, there is a "public" folder within your idisk for that reason as well as the ability to make a public download page.

Your Mac's Specs
    Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlike View Post
    Yes, there is a "public" folder within your idisk for that reason as well as the ability to make a public download page.
    Cool, thanks.

I've gone 'round and 'round on this question. We have one .Mac account so that my wife can sync her Entourage calendar, contacts, etc., between the iMac and the iBook. It works great for that, but at $99 per year that's an expensive solution. It comes up for renewal in about 2 months.

I'm giving MySync a try (MySync) this week to see if that will solve the sync functions. The rest of .Mac, IMO, can be had elsewhere for much cheaper. And I'd prefer my own domain name on email, rather than the "@mac.com" (I personally don't think there's much "prestige" in any email address).

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis View Post
    I'm giving MySync a try (MySync) this week to see if that will solve the sync functions. The rest of .Mac, IMO, can be had elsewhere for much cheaper. And I'd prefer my own domain name on email, rather than the "@mac.com" (I personally don't think there's much "prestige" in any email address).
    Never heard of this before. Do please let us know how you like it. This is the primary .mac feature I use... I do use iWeb, but for a $100 savings, I can manually ftp my sites to an alternate domain

I like .mac
    it's cool

Well, I used Mysync until the license ran out and just recently bought SyncTogether -- from the same guys, it's their "new" pay to play sync program. Not bad at all, $49 one time gets you the software for up to 3 macs.

Works very well, relatively easy to set up if you're sync'g one user from one mac to another (in my case, an iMac to an iBook). You can also sync across users on one machine (i.e., my calendar and my wife's on the iMac).

For $49, it's 1/2 the price of one .Mac membership, and about $130 less than the family plan (and that's just the first year).

Definitely seems worth it, iMO.

MacHeadCase
    I've had a .Mac account for 4 years. I don't see the day where I won't renew it either. I simply love how well everything is neatly tied in together.

What do you use it for? Occassionally I'll go and have a look at the .mac homepage but there's so little information on there.
    www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
    Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro

Thread Information