Issue with macbook air mid 2013
    Hi everyone,

I recently bought a macBook air 2013 from a friend, and it works like charm. It has macOs Carolina installed.

The issue I am having is connecting the mac with hdmi , i bought an Thunderbol to HDMI adapter, and it's like the mac doesn't recognize the screen.

Same adapter, I just tested in a macBook Pro 2009 and it works perfect.

Any ideas of what to test? How can i be sure the port is working? Maybe some driver - firmware issues?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

Are you sure you have the correct adapter? A 2009 MacBook Pro does not have a Thunderbolt output port, but rather a Mini displayport. The 2013 MacBook Air has a Thunderbolt 1 output port.

There are no drivers involved or firmware updates. With the correct adapter and depending on the input of your external monitor, it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Welcome to our forums.

Are you sure you have the correct adapter? A 2009 MacBook Pro does not have a Thunderbolt output port, but rather a Mini displayport. The 2013 MacBook Air has a Thunderbolt 1 output port.

There are no drivers involved or firmware updates. With the correct adapter and depending on the input of your external monitor, it should work.
    Hi! Thanks for the reply...

I guess i have the correct one, i look into pictures and they are the same, right? I mean, the adapter fit well in both computers.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Try these;

NVRAM reset - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.
    SMC reset - How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support.

Test after each reset.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by jspasiuk View Post
    Hi! Thanks for the reply...

I guess i have the correct one, i look into pictures and they are the same, right? I mean, the adapter fit well in both computers.
    The connectors are the same, however, according to Apple and other tech sites it doesn't always work. And when you use an adapter, that can cause an additional problem trying to get the proper signal to the monitor.

Can you give us some specs on the monitor you're trying to use - make, model, etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    The connectors are the same, however, according to Apple and other tech sites it doesn't always work. And when you use an adapter, that can cause an additional problem trying to get the proper signal to the monitor.

Can you give us some specs on the monitor you're trying to use - make, model, etc. ?
    I tried on two tv's , both are samsung , one is 55' (not 4k) and the other one is 42' (also, not 4k) . Macbook pro works correctly on both tv's.

I will try today with other adapter from a friend, and then y will try those reset @ferrar told me.

Thread Information