Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

calibrating battery
    Hi guys

So i have my new macboor air plugged in all the time. Meaning whenever i switch on my laptop i will on my power adaptor. I know there are so many articles about how to use mac with/without battery power etc. So i thought of calibrating my battery twice a month.

Right now my battery is at 100% fully charged/plugged in. So all i have to do is, remove the charger, use up my battery up to lets say 15-20% and then plugin the charger and charge up to 100% again and leave the plug on after that. Is that correct? really simple stuff but i read somewhere that after draining the battery i need to power off my laptop for like 5+ hours. Im not sure if its correct or not..

Thanks

calibrating battery
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The only reason for draining the battery is to calibrate the reporting process. It does no good for the battery itself. Lithium batteries want to stay in the 60-80% range for longest life. Deep discharges (below 40%) are hard on the battery.

So, what to do? Do what I do, leave it on mains and don't bother with calibration of the reporting process. When/if you need to use the battery, go ahead and do so, but don't do it deliberately for any reason. My MBP is on mains probably 95% of the time.

If you do a search of this forum there are a couple of longish posts on the chemistry/physics of lithium batteries. There are many factors that affect potential life, but for an Apple laptop, using it the way you are the battery will last much longer than the computer itself.

If you decide to go ahead with calibration runs, you don't need to wait. Deplete the battery and then put it on mains. No need to wait.

But just don't do it. No need.
    Jake

calibrating battery
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Here is Apple's info on their batteries, Batteries - Apple
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information