Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie cannot get imessage/facetime working
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Could it be that you haven't set up the Apple ID with a mobile phone number that works?
    To use Messages (iMessage)To use Messages (iMessage), it does not need to be set up with a mobile phone number. With no number, it will still reach other Apple ID's.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    That is true, Bob, but what about signing in? Since Messages is a component of iCloud, and iCloud uses 2FA, does he not have to be logged in to the iCloud account for Messages to work? I cannot answer that because I have my iPhone in my account and have done so since the beginning. All I am thinking is that Apple is sending a 2FA that isn't being responded to.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    That is true, Bob, but what about signing in? Since Messages is a component of iCloud, and iCloud uses 2FA, does he not have to be logged in to the iCloud account for Messages to work? I cannot answer that because I have my iPhone in my account and have done so since the beginning. All I am thinking is that Apple is sending a 2FA that isn't being responded to.
    Any telephone number can be used with 2FA or 2SV. I have 2 Apple ID's, and one has our landline as a verified number. It still works, but I do agree, they need to verify their Apple ID with that device, before it will successfully connect/work with the Apple system.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I am wondering if you are caught by 2FA? Two Factor Authentication (I think that's right) is Apple's security method of making sure you are you. When you first log in on any device to your iCloud account, Apple sends a six digit authentication code to the mobile number or devices you have registered at Apple. You then enter those six digits into the security prompt on the system you are trying to use. So, when you log into Messages, the system sends to your mobile phone the six digits to authorize Messages on your new Mac. You should only have to do that once.

Could it be that you haven't set up the Apple ID with a mobile phone number that works?

The phone I icloud with did receive the code. I put the 6 digit code in that was texted to me in on sign up because Idk about anyone else here but that wouldnt let me sign up for iCloud anyway without the code it texted my phone.

I have reinstalled mac os high sierra and created a brand new iCloud email account which i already verified my phone number with the code I was sent. I have not yet tried to log on to iMessage since reinstalling the OS because as soon as the install was through safari needed to update. So I am waiting for that update.

Once that is done in about a minute, I will update here if my problem is solved or nah

Duplicated oops

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, just wanted to make sure you had the 2FA connections sorted out. Sounds like you do. Good luck with it!
    Jake

Thumbs down
    OK, just wanted to make sure you had the 2FA connections sorted out. Sounds like you do. Good luck with it!

I have to get this thing returned before it gets any weirder. All i did was update safari like it prompted me to and it got stuck on the apple loading screen. The seller told me to just power down and on again and it will go to the desktop as normal. But it didn't do that. It keeps getting stuck there. And without the use of system applications to begin with i see no point in keeping this. I will look for something else or give up on my apple adventure. I thought I would have a good experience with apple. This has been a friggin nightmare. The fact that iMessage commonly has this error with no universal fix is really telling and unfortunate. I have spent close to 24 hours to get a macbook to work. Yes my windows laptop was slow but damn. It wasnt 24 hours of waiting for system programs or apps to work slow. I might try again or i might throw in the towel. This experience hasnt been worth it yet.

Your Mac's Specs
    Maybe I missed it, but the the Internet recovery and installation of the operating system work? I would get the machine running, get comfortable with the way Macs work in the Apple ecology and then maybe try the messages issue later.
    Jake

Maybe I missed it, but the the Internet recovery and installation of the operating system work? I would get the machine running, get comfortable with the way Macs work in the Apple ecology and then maybe try the messages issue later.
    Its not even imessge. I got the system to recover and then i got on my desktop. Safari wanted to update. It did that and restarted. After that it got stuck on the apple loading and boot screen. The seller told me to let him send a new hard drive and i could try that since it looks like my harddrive is defective.

My husband says if its a defective harddrive that could explain the issues with imessage but he asked me to get a newer model macbook and get a refund.

Your Mac's Specs
    I would agree with a newer model. 2011 was quite a while ago in computer terms. Also, some of the 2011 models had issues with the Graphics chips and were subject to a recall that has ended now. I don't know what your budget might be, but if the seller will take it back and refund you, I would go that way and look for something newer.
    Jake

I would agree with a newer model. 2011 was quite a while ago in computer terms. Also, some of the 2011 models had issues with the Graphics chips and were subject to a recall that has ended now. I don't know what your budget might be, but if the seller will take it back and refund you, I would go that way and look for something newer.

The seller has agreed to a refund. I can do up to 500 or 550 on a used model. i found one on macs of all trades in my budget. Its a 2015 macbook air. I dont need a powerhouse. It is just for school. But my husband wants to edit video occasionally so maybe still need a pro?
    I only paid 360 for the 2011 but with a refund and some other funds i can go 550

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    It really infuriates me when sellers insist on setting up a device before sale. The instructions for selling or giving away a used Mac are easily found and they all include things like signing out of iMessages, iTunes, iCloud, ect. as well as deauthorising the device from their iTunes account. This ensures there are no personal settings or preferences left behind.
    Then they just follow the first set of instructions I gave you, boot into recovery, reinstall the original macOS via WiFi the quit and shut down. Meaning what you should see when you start up would be the Welcome Screen with Hola, Bien Venue, etc where you pick your language, location and so on.

Just FYI, here are the instructions;

When preparing to sell or give away your Mac, you may want to erase some or all files from its hard drive. But first determine whether you should back up your computer and disable certain features and services. These steps show the recommended sequence of actions:

1. Deauthorize your computer from iTunes, if applicable.
    2. Back up your data using Time Machine or other backup methods for OS X Mavericks or Mountain Lion.
    3. If you use Find My Mac or other iCloud features on this Mac, complete these steps:
    1. Back up your iCloud content.
    2. Choose Apple Menu () > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
    3. Deselect the Find My Mac checkbox.
    4. Sign out of iCloud. When you sign out of iCloud, you're asked whether you want to remove iCloud data from your Mac. Removing iCloud data in this way makes sure that the data isn't also removed from any of your other devices that are using the same iCloud account.
    4. If you're using OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 or later, sign out of iMessage:
    1. In the Messages app, choose Preferences > Accounts.
    2. Select your iMessage account, then click Sign Out.
    5. Reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X. Follow the appropriate instructions:
    OS X Mavericks
    OS X Mountain Lion
    OS X Lion
    After you reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X, the computer restarts to a Welcome screen and asks you to choose a country or region. If you want to leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, don't continue with the setup of your system. Instead, press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. When the new owner turns on the Mac, the Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.

These are a little old but the principals remain the same.

Anyway so much for my little rant. Hopefully your instal of High Sierra goes smoothly and iMessage works for you. You will need to go to Contacts and fill in your personal data, phone number, email address etc as well and this should match the data in your Apple Account.

Let us know how it goes.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Hi everyone, I already started the return process for the clunky macbook.
    So I am going to start a new thread about what to buy next.

Thread Information