Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Disposable View Post
    Thank you so much Slydude, formatted and now backing up to the drive again and in my name, also the backup in the refuge bin has been deleted!
    My thanks also to everyone else who tried to help!
    Formatting/erasing a drive will delete whatever is on the drive (Time Machine backups, brilliant ideas, moonshine recipes,). Use that command carefully. Even data recovery software may not Get anything back after that.

Glad you've gotten things sorted out to the way you wanted them.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 2009 16 gig ram - Macbook Pro 2012 16 gig ram - iPad Air series 5 2017.
    There was only backups on the drive (a 2 terr usb drive). I am familiar with formatting as I have used PC's for many years, but I had no idea where the utility was on the iMac. You have been brilliant and thank you again for your help!

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    There was only backups on the drive (a 2 terr usb drive). I am familiar with formatting as I have used PC's for many years, but I had no idea where the utility was on the iMac. You have been brilliant and thank you again for your help!
    Finally somebody noticed. I must show this to my wife ASAP. Unfortunately I think she might disagree with you. lol. In all seriousness glad that is sorted out.

BTW Just for future reference in case you are not too familiar with how Time Machine works. At some point the drive will start approaching being full and you will be tempted to delete some of the backup folders manually using the Finder. Danger Will Robinson (arms flailing wildly). Do not follow this temptation. Doing so will break the backup and pretty well ruin chances of recovering a file when it's needed. Time Machine will clear more space as needed and do it in a way that doesn't break the backup.
    Kevin Durant

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 2009 16 gig ram - Macbook Pro 2012 16 gig ram - iPad Air series 5 2017.
    Thanks for the advice Mr Smith, err! I mean Robinson.

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for the advice Mr Smith, err! I mean Robinson.
    Kevin Durant

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    You have been brilliant and thank you again for your help!
    Finally somebody noticed. I must show this to my wife ASAP. Unfortunately I think she might disagree with you. lol.
    Good grief! It'll take a least a month before this wears off. Okay, fellow members of these forums... would you like to donate to the "Large Hat" fund?

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Good grief! It'll take a least a month before this wears off. Okay, fellow members of these forums... would you like to donate to the "Large Hat" fund?
    Can we make that a Mac Pro or new iPad fund?? Dropped mine last night and cracked the screen.
    Kevin Durant

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Yikes... that's bad news. Replacing the screen on an iPad is expensive. If you have AppleCare Plus, all you need to do is pay the deductible and Apple will give you a refurbished replacement.

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    It was going to be time for a new one soon anyway. I forget which model this is but it only has 16 GB of storage and would not be able to run the new iPadOS. I'm 3 for 3 with iPad screen cracks. The last one was not bad (outer edge down part of the bezel) so I passed it on to SWMBO. She says the next new iPad that comes into the house is hers.
    Kevin Durant

Time Machine problem?
    ... You have been brilliant and thank you again for your help!

Believe it or not, I've been told he sometimes gets sent a large ten gallon Texas hat and someone suggested they are to try and protect his swelled head, and harder to believe yet, is the fact that that little black icon in the bottom left of the message box is actually a thumbs-up icon to give credit to the poster.

I think the person who created the icon was actually an old blind Windows user with severe arthritis and rheumatism problems in his hands and a brain injury in the artist section of his brain.

PS: I'm sure I recall the thumbs-up icon being much better sometime ago. But something sure happened to it.

Actually, I think they got somebody to make a new one, and they were in a bit of a hurry and they told the artist to step on it, which she did, and that's why it looks the way it does.

- Patrick
    ======

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Apart from the fact that my problem is now solved! What is also evident is that there was (at least in my case) no real reason to do a clean install of my OS in order to get a great result and a fully working clean system change over to a new Admin with no issues whatsoever! Admittedly it takes a bit of work to clean up the system, but it is still simpler than going through a clean install, especially for a newbie with no experience of using the terminal or installing to USB!

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    @Willabong, glad you got it going. You could have avoided the "bit of work to clean up the system" by using DiskmakerX to build a bootable USB installer and then just booted into that and clicked on the install option and ended up with a totally clean system. That approach gives a "factory" new install and requires no terminal work at all. Just run DiskmakerX and watch it do its thing.
    Jake

Time Machine problem?
    Apart from the fact that my problem is now solved! What is also evident is that there was (at least in my case) no real reason to do a clean install of my OS in order to get a great result and a fully working clean system change over to a new Admin with no issues whatsoever!

Well. I'd go so far as to say, at at least none that you are aware of.

And Yes, IMHO the suggestion or recommendation to do a "clean install" is often exaggerated a not really necessary.

But in your case, that doesn't really apply and as already suggested way back at the beginning of the thread, it is highly recommended when you bought a used machine as you did.

In those cases it is often recommended to do a complete "Nuke and Pave" which is a cleaner install then a "clean install".

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it appears to be working fine for you. And yes, keeping a Mac running in fine pristine condition can take a fair bit of user invo;ved maintenance, but recent Mac OS versions seems to be doing quite well when doing their own maintenance when allowed to do so on their own.

- Patrick
    ======

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    @Willabong Doing a clean install when one gets a used machine can be annoying and time-consuming. Think about the though: The time you spent getting the system shifted from the previous owners settings to yours could have been applied to the clean install and getting the settings to your liking from the jump. You also avoid the time spent trying to delete those Time Machine backups.

When purchasing used gear there are a few items that may/may not come up later depending upon the previous owner's use /habits:
    1. The previous owner left software on the system that is registered to them. If the software "phones home" to check registration credentials you won't likely be able to update that software when t becomes necessary. Microsoft Office and the Photoshop suite are two pieces of software that used to cause this issue but there are others.

2, The previous owner left some software / extensions on the system that you don't want or need. I'm not necessarily talking about malware but software that loads on startup that you don't need running / slowing down the system.
    Kevin Durant

Time Machine problem?
    Your Mac's Specs
    In my case I know the previous owners habits and they were not anything more than edit a few photo's and browse the Web. Also there was no registered applications of any kind and only basic standard App store free software. I installed a few paid for registered pieces of software eg: The Affinity range from Serif software and Libre Office, nothing else! I know a clean ship when I see one, and this is a little used system run by an old man owned from new, who did very little to modify anything!

Thread Information