Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry Help with reading an external memory stick
    Hi all, a few years ago I made the best decision to move to Mac. I absolutely love my Macbook and have had far less issues than I used to have with a PC.
    I am trying to convince my husband to move over to this side, however I am stuck with showing him how awesome they are as the Macbook won't read his action camera.
    I have plugged it in my macbook and it is greyed out, so I try to mount it, no luck. I formatted it and it showed. When we went to record on the camera it said it didn't support that type and had to format it before use. It did that, and now I'm back to square one where I can't read it.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this going?
    Thanks

Help with reading an external memory stick
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Need more specifics regarding camera model? What format does the camera require?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Hi, it is a ThiEYE i60+ and without formatting it again, I can't remember what format it requires. I have taken a screenshot if it helps.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.52.05 AM.png

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    It appears the camera was formatted as FAT-16. Probably should be formatted to FAT-32 but without knowing what format the camera requires, it's hard to determine.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    The camera manufacturer certainly doesn't offer much support?

ThiEYE Supports

Your screenshot, shows the card/disk is formatted as MS-DOS (FAT16), so the Mac (as far as I know) should be able to read from & write to the card/disk. Are you plugging the card/disk into the card reader slot, or are you plugging the camera into your MB?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    The camera manufacturer certainly doesn't offer much support?

ThiEYE Supports

Your screenshot, shows the card/disk is formatted as MS-DOS (FAT16), so the Mac (as far as I know) should be able to read from & write to the card/disk. Are you plugging the card/disk into the card reader slot, or are you plugging the camera into your MB?
    Hi, Iím plugging the camera in via USB, my MacBook only has USB-C.
    I also have a MacBook with a card reader and that doesnít work either.

Your Mac's Specs
    It's probably because your camera uses a proprietary format. Neither FAT-16 nor FAT-32 is likely going to work. Most modern cameras support a FAT-32 format but FAT-16 will also work for smaller memories. The internal memory for your camera probably has to be formatted by the camera itself otherwise it probably won't work to store photos. And, the camera format is not compatible with macOS.

I had the same problem with some older Sony Flip phones. They were only recognized by Windows and not macOS. Sony did have some special software for some of their older model phones that worked for the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It's probably because your camera uses a proprietary format. Neither FAT-16 nor FAT-32 is likely going to work. Most modern cameras support a FAT-32 format but FAT-16 will also work for smaller memories. The internal memory for your camera probably has to be formatted by the camera itself otherwise it probably won't work to store photos. And, the camera format is not compatible with macOS.

I had the same problem with some older Sony Flip phones. They were only recognized by Windows and not macOS. Sony did have some special software for some of their older model phones that worked for the Mac.
    Thank you do you know if there is a way to get our MacBooks to read it?

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you do you know if there is a way to get our MacBooks to read it?
    Only if "ThiEYE" issues special software for the Mac to read it. As I mentioned above, I had the same problem with older Sony Flip phones. The only way my Mac would recognize it was special software downloaded from Sony. I suggest contacting the ThiEYE support and ask them if there is a way the camera can be read on your Mac.

Two possibilities worth trying I think, not that I know anything about this camera, but checking a bit on the net.

1. If you have an iphone, download the app ... ThiEYE on the App Store
    Then it seems one can download the video to the iphone (via WiFi maybe?) and then from the iphone to the Mac

or

2. If Windows detects the video on the memory stick, psrtition a section of the MacBook hard drive to install Windows and read the memory that way.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Or use a product like Parallels or Virtual Box to run Windows on the Mac without having to reboot.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    You didn't say which Mac you have, but you mentioned USB-C. Can you give us more information on that? Do you have any accessories for card reading for USB-C? If so, the card in the camera is a microSD, which can be put in a carrier to fit into a standard SD card slot just fine. You might be able to mount the card instead of the camera.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Two possibilities worth trying I think, not that I know anything about this camera, but checking a bit on the net.

1. If you have an iphone, download the app ... ThiEYE on the App Store
    Then it seems one can download the video to the iphone (via WiFi maybe?) and then from the iphone to the Mac

or

2. If Windows detects the video on the memory stick, psrtition a section of the MacBook hard drive to install Windows and read the memory that way.
    Haha your option 2 sounds way too complicated for me haha, but thanks heaps, I'll try the 1st option.

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    You didn't say which Mac you have, but you mentioned USB-C. Can you give us more information on that? Do you have any accessories for card reading for USB-C? If so, the card in the camera is a microSD, which can be put in a carrier to fit into a standard SD card slot just fine. You might be able to mount the card instead of the camera.
    We have 2 macbook pros and a macbook air, none of them can read the camera plugged in. The USB-C is on the newest macbook pro, which has 3 USB-C slots only. I have the adaptor for usb but no card reader.

I have an older Minolta X50 camera which also uses a proprietary format, but the Mac can read that when I plug the camera SD card into the Mac - either using the SD card slot if the Mac has one or an SD to USB adapter.
    One thing up front - you need to format the card in your camera; formatting it in the Mac won't let it work in the camera.
    That's the case for my camera and it would be the same for yours

I see from your screen shot that the Mac at least recognizes the card.
    It also looks as if the "mount" option at the top right in Disk Utility is available, ie not greyed out.
    Did you try mounting it that way since the card won't mount when you plug it in.

Thread Information