Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

OS X 10.9.5 using Safari trouble using certain websites
    Specifically, making an appointment for medical tests, it works on wife's computer, she uses firefox. Reserve America, nope, not on my computer. Accessing credit report website, same thing. What does this desktop need, besides a knowledgeable person typing on the keyboard.
    iMac 10.9.5

OS X 10.9.5  using Safari  trouble using certain websites
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    How about some clarification? Which Mac desktop, year and model? Also, the version of Safari for macOS 10.9.5 (Mavericks circa 2013) is quite old and no longer compatible with many sites. Which websites are you having difficulty with and what exactly is happening?

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Hello and welcome.

What are the specs for your wife's computer? Model, year, Operating System (OS) compared with yours - same details please for yours - yes you have told us your Operating System, but year and Model. Perhaps an Upgrade would help?.

It may or may not be a browser issue. Perhaps her Operating System (OS) is a lot newer than yours?

We're delighted to help but we need to know details that only you know.

Please post back.

Ian
    Ian

we purchased both at the same time, the only difference is she uses firefox and i use safari.based on my serial number it says I-Mac 21.5 Late 2012. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. Anyway I try to make appointments on Quest diagnostics and then Reserve America for outdoor activities and it acts like its searching but doesn't go there. I have not checked her serial number against Apples site.
    iMac 10.9.5

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    So you're both running 10.9.5?

From the Apple site, I gather that late 2012 Macs can run macOS Mojave. As you don't mention the model (mini, MacBook, iMac) there could be a difference, but whatever, at least macOS High Sierra is available for both of you.

So, unless you have personal or pressing reasons for not upgrading, you can both upgrade at least 4, if not 5, OS versions. That must be worth considering in view of the vulnerability and security issues you currently face.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    Using a five operating systems old OS of course you will have problems with secure financial, legal and medical web sites.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

we purchased both at the same time, the only difference is she uses firefox and i use safari.based on my serial number it says I-Mac 21.5 Late 2012. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. Anyway I try to make appointments on Quest diagnostics and then Reserve America for outdoor activities and it acts like its searching but doesn't go there. I have not checked her serial number against Apples site.

No need for her to check her serial number against Apple's site, all the info you need is on each of your Mac computers,

For your Safari problems, Safari has a Reset Safari option you could try, but I would say I think it may be because of some of the sites you are accessing want a later browser version as has already been mentioned. Safari can't be updated without updating the operating system. Firefox and chrome both can be but also have minimum OS X requirements.

PS: My Safari running Mavericks 10.9.5 became almost useless at too many sites so I just don't bother using it anymore, but Firefox and Google Chrome both work well.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    So you're both running 10.9.5?

From the Apple site, I gather that late 2012 Macs can run macOS Mojave. As you don't mention the model (mini, MacBook, iMac) there could be a difference, but whatever, at least macOS High Sierra is available for both of you.

So, unless you have personal or pressing reasons for not upgrading, you can both upgrade at least 4, if not 5, OS versions. That must be worth considering in view of the vulnerability and security issues you currently face.

Ian

they are both I-Mac
    Now, upgrading to another system, can you direct me to instructions on how to do that. It is best to back-up with an external hard drive? If so ,what would you use if in my position. And Im past the point of being embarrassed at asking such basic questions, my expertise is in high speed race cars, them I know, computers, not too much.
    iMac 10.9.5

they are both I-Mac
    And are they both running Mac OS X Mavericks version 10.9.5??

Personally, for an average user, an external USB drive of at least the same capacity as your Macs should be adequate. One for each Mac would probably be a more convenient usage, and formatted to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

You can use the included Time Machine System Prefs app, and/or, many, including myself, would suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to create a full bootable clone.

As for your Mac OS updates, check your Software Update and/or your App Store, then check the Updates tab and maybe even your Purchases tab for an option to download any the newer Mac OS that might be shown or listed. You may have even downloaded it previously and it's sitting on your Mac, normally in the Applications folder from where it will normally be run to do any update.

PS: If so, make a copy of the installer and move it somewhere safe before you run it. The one in your Applications folder will be deleted automatically after it has been installed and your Mac OS has been updated.

PS: Your comment on your "expertise is in high speed race cars" certainly piqued my interest as I used to be quite involved with some of them many years ago, but times and technology have changed drastically.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information