Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am in Beachball Hell
    Yeah, I need to turn that reminder off �� - I use Carbonite, which backs up all the time by itself.
    As a side topic regarding Carbonite, maybe have a read of some of the comments:
    Some things that Carbonite said were backed-up were not. Lost hundreds of dollars of software and some things that can't replaced. Frustrating.
    And the Carbonite Daemon can take up to 100% of CPU. Technical support knows NOTHING about Macs.
    etc.
    Carbonite 2.5.1 free download for Mac | MacUpdate

- Patrick
    ======

I am in Beachball Hell
    Any ideas how I can get this thing to boot in safe mode?
    Yes, patience. Safe Boot is very, very slow to get to done.

And keep trying if it doesn't work the first few times.

- Patrick
    ======

First of all - I have to say how kind and helpful everyone is! Thanks for your time and effort.

Checking out all of the above comments and making the suggested changes. About Carbonite: this is a matter of disabling automatic backups, then?

I was troubleshooting last night starting and restarting this laptop, using my backup computer to keep instructions in front of my face, when it occurred to me: that's a lesser MBA with less RAM, and I do everything on it that I do on this one - with no problems, no beachballing at all. So I don't think it's a matter of something I do in the normal course of things - how many apps or windows I have open, for example. They're identical behaviors, and up until a couple months ago they behaved identically in response. For some reason, something on this computer has gone off.

All that said - I'm still taking all the advice here! Anything to narrow it down.

While trying to work all this out last night, I had another crash. Here's the panic report, as requested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am in Beachball Hell
    ...when it occurred to me: that's a lesser MBA with less RAM, and I do everything on it that I do on this one - with no problems, no beachballing at all. So I don't think it's a matter of something I do in the normal course of things - how many apps or windows I have open, for example. They're identical behaviors, and up until a couple months ago they behaved identically in response. For some reason, something on this computer has gone off.

With that comment made, and assuming everything is the same as far as running software goes, I would say that seems to point to the boot Drive being too full or failing.
    I believe you said you had 60±GB free unavailable which should be enough for normal operations. So with that in mind, do you have another drive you could use to boot from and check things out and do some comparisons.

This is where a cloned backup using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) for example would be beneficial.

BTW: Welcome to mac-forums with your first posts even though you seem to have being a member for some years now.

- Patrick
    ======

Patrick, thank you!

I'm about to flash some ignorance here: when you say

-- do you have another drive you could use to boot from and check things out and do some comparisons

... is this something my Seagate external backup drive could be used for? If so, I wouldn't know how - but my sweetie might be able to help me figure it out.

Update: changes since last post
    I've made some forward progress here, long-term benefits unknown. Here's the checklist.

- I've reset the NVRAM and the SMC.
    - I had an OS update downloaded but not applied - 10.14.4. I've applied it now.
    - After applying that, I tried again to start in safe mode. No luck. The progress bar fills, but after 15 minutes it still hadn't started. Is it reasonable to wait longer than that?
    - Since the update the MBA is running notably quieter! Only one beach ball in the past hour, and a very short-lived one. No fan.
    - I went into Network/preferences and deleted all the Samsung connections. I'm assuming that's all Airdroid stuff - it will re-establish itself if so, next time my phone connects.
    - I'm holding off on disabling Carbonite updates. I just don't want to risk not backing up.
    - I've removed *everything* from my login items. It's empty.

In sum - things are notably better, but not completely solved. Fingers very much crossed!

I am in Beachball Hell
    I'm about to flash some ignorance here: when you say

Basically what I was suggesting, was to see if booted from another cloned backup Drive would improve things.

Carbon Copy Cloner.app can create such a backup cloned Drive that you can boot from.

If you were to use your existing external Seagate Drive, you would need to partition it to make a volume large enough to hold your existing data plus a 20 to 40 GB surplus as a minimum, or erase the drive completely in order to clone using Carbon Copy Cloner.

If your existing Seagate backup Drive is already bootable, you could try using it. But I don't know what was used to create the backup so it may not be bootable.

Also, depending on your Macs, you may be able to use Target Disk Mode and use your proper working MacBook to boot from, but it may not be worth the hassle.
    For directions and compatibility maybe check here:
    What Is Target Disk Mode? How and When to Use It on Your Mac
    and
    Mac Target Disk Mode includes USB | The IvanExpert Mac Blog
    or if needed:
    can a macbook be used as a boot drive using target disk mode - Google Search

I can't remember if it was mentioned, but it won't hurt to use Disk Utility.app to do any possible repairs or first aid.

- Patrick
    ======

I am in Beachball Hell
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Thanks for including the kernel panic report, but next time please just copy it to the clipboard and then paste it direct. Most folks do not like to download an attached file.

Anyway, three things I noticed that are probably eating up memory (you only have 4GB) and causing slowdowns:

com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_5 5.2.7
    com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore 5.2.7
    com.malwarebytes.mbam.rtprotection 3.2.36

Get rid of those three and then see if your beach balling subsides.

I am in Beachball Hell
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    It's a reasonable assumption that over time and use any device will pick up detritus that is leftover from web sites, software updates, software that has been removed but not completely uninstalled, pref files, daemons, control panels and helper files/apps.
    It is almost impossible with a busy machine like yours EternalNewbie for you to avoid some conflicts not withstanding all of the malicious software that is out there these days.

So, there are two distinct methods for handling this inevitable tangle;

Use a slow process of elimination to locate the worst offenders and either remove them or alter their behaviour. Some of this can be done as you have no doubt read by restarting in Safe Mode but it can be a bit difficult to do as you've discovered.
    As an alternative to the Safe Mode method you could download and run Maintainence app from Titanium Software | Operating system utilities for Mac - Home This will perform most if not all of the tasks performed in Safe Mode but will not allow you the advantage of seeing how your device works without anything except core systems running. Maintainence is a smaller app than OnyX and performs all the tasks you will need. Just run the default script. Make sure you get the version for your macOS.

The second method of solving your issue is a "Nuke & Pave" method, essentially a Clean Instal it involves erasing your internal drive, installing a fresh copy of the Operating System then re loading all of your apps and data. As daunting as that may sound it's something we have all done and some do regularly.

Usually I do this at each new version of macOS. So I did an erase and Clean Instal when High Sierra was released and again when Mojave was released.
    Last edited by Rod; 05-11-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

I am in Beachball Hell
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    If you can get into Recovery, you have the option to reinstall macOS. And if you do do that, it will not affect any of your files, however, it is always recommend to have a completely updated backup before you proceed, just in case.

Also, when you are attempting to boot into Safe mode, you don’t need to keep Shift held down, you only need to hold it until the progress bar appears.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information