Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question iMAC 2010 screaming for help, but..what do you mean?
    Hello,

Does anyone knows what my iMAC is saying (screens attached)???

Here's what happened:
    I turn it one one ordinary evening and out of nowhere it doesn't go past the very first start up screen. My first thought - disk has crashed. Next: recovery mode - disk utility - verify - disk needs repair - leaves me with "disk utility can't repair this disk. Backup data and erase the drive"...

Right, how to back up data if I can't access the drive. Anyway...
    I replaced the disk with a new one, created bootable usb with OSX El Capitan install and.............the below screens appear now and I was not able to trigger recovery mode or Startup Manager. Same when putting back the old disk - can't access recovery or startup manager...the progress bar just goes till 10-30 % and restarts. I tried to boot using Snow Leopard installation dvd but nothing happens too...

Did anyone had similar issue before? Thanks!

IMG_8211.JPGIMG_8216.JPG

iMAC 2010 screaming for help, but..what do you mean?
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    That definitely appears to be a hardware problem. Have you done anything like replace the RAM or add more? Have you tried rebooting with nothing plugged into any of the ports? There’s no way to troubleshoot further if you can’t get it to boot any OS off any media type. Here’s an Apple document about kernel panics.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a message that it restarted or shut down because of a problem - Apple Support

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thanks a lot for reply...

Well, I've just replaced the old hdd with a new one - as initially I suspected the drive has crashed and thats the message I get and wasn't able to boot from either dvd or usb.
    If i put back the old drive I still can't boot (recovery or anything) and the message is now similar/same. [before replacing the drive I was able to boot to recovery mode...but wasnt able to repair the disc].

If nothing is plugged in (and the new - blank hdd on) I get the question mark & folder icon...

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    It is searching for an operating system on the new HDD. Needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and an operating system installed from your backup or a bootbale DVD with the operating system on it, such as came with your iMacx when new.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsewi View Post
    Thanks a lot for reply...

Well, I've just replaced the old hdd with a new one - as initially I suspected the drive has crashed and thats the message I get and wasn't able to boot from either dvd or usb.
    If i put back the old drive I still can't boot (recovery or anything) and the message is now similar/same. [before replacing the drive I was able to boot to recovery mode...but wasnt able to repair the disc].

If nothing is plugged in (and the new - blank hdd on) I get the question mark & folder icon...
    I hate to say it, but it looks like the iMac has bit the dust. Since you can’t boot off a hard drive, DVD, or USB thumb drive, and you are CERTAIN that they should be bootable, then there’s nothing left to do. Well actually try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM. Also try an SMC reset. If those don’t work, then it looks like it’s time for a new Mac.
    Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
    How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Does anyone knows what my iMAC is saying (screens attached)???

Seeing that you needed to ask, I'd say it's saying to get some professional Mac help who is qualified and can do some Diagnostics on it.

Probably well worth an hour or so of their time and experience.

But give Bob's suggestion of trying a Safe Boot first.
    Currently, you have a guenuine OS X Kernel Panic!!

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 04-18-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Seeing that you needed to ask, I'd say it's saying to get some professional Mac help who is qualified and can do some Diagnostics on it.

Probably well worth an hour or so of their time and experience.

But give Bob's suggestion of trying a Safe Boot first.
    Currently, you have a guenuine OS X Kernel Panic!!

- Patrick
    ======
    I would be very much hesitant to spend money on professional service. The 2010 model iMacs are worth around $200 today even in perfect working condition. I’ve been trying to flip mine and even with an SSD and large capacity HDD in it, I’m getting no bites locally, and it’s not worth the hassle and shipping expenses to flip on eBay. The OP should keep that in mind before sinking money into it. If it’s unfixable, more will be spent on determining that than what it’s worth now. If it is fixable, again, would likely cost more to fix than what it’d be worth when back to working condition.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 04-18-2019 at 10:42 PM.

------
    ------

Thanks for help and suggestions guys! So...it's up and running again.

I was not able to boot in safe modes or anything at all...and so begun experimenting and transplanting parts borrowed from macbook to isolate the issue. Luckily I started with the easiest - RAM - which appears to be the troublemaker; together with the HDD. After replacing both I could boot from the usb I created earlier with OSX install. After clean install last night it appears to be all good.

Now I realized the new HDD has pretty strong fan as it's really quite loud when it turns on reading large files...oh well...price for double the capacity (1 TB now).
    Hope this tread can help someone in future too.

Cheers,

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    2010 and some later iMacs have a special heat sensor stuck on the original hard drive which will work only with that precise Seagate model drive. Indications of this are fans going full speed like a 747 going down the runway. Best fix is a special kit from OWC, or software such as MacFanControl to manually control fan speed.

OWC Digital Thermal Sensor for 2009-2010 iMac HD Upgrade

eidac
    Last edited by harryb2448; 04-19-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    2010 and some later iMacs have a special heat sensor stuck on the original hard drive which will work only with that prwecise Seagate model drive. Indications nof this are fans going full speed like a 747 going down the runway. Best fix is a special kit from OWC, or software such as MacFanControl to manually control fan speed.

OWC Digital Thermal Sensor for 2009-2010 iMac HD Upgrade

eidac
    I’ve had to resort to both of these options over time and can attest to how well they work. The OWC kit is the best option because it’s not reliant on running software, but MacsFanControl gets the job done just fine and doesn’t require opening up the iMac.

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsewi View Post
    Thanks for help and suggestions guys! So...it's up and running again.

I was not able to boot in safe modes or anything at all...and so begun experimenting and transplanting parts borrowed from macbook to isolate the issue. Luckily I started with the easiest - RAM - which appears to be the troublemaker; together with the HDD. After replacing both I could boot from the usb I created earlier with OSX install. After clean install last night it appears to be all good.
    Thanks for the update and glad to see it was an easy fix. I thought the problem may have been RAM-related, but those actually going bad vs just not being seated right or being the wrong type isn’t something I would have expected. Good to know!

------
    ------

Thanks guys...will definitely need that...it's loud...

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Thanks for the update and glad to see it was an easy fix. I thought the problem may have been RAM-related, but those actually going bad vs just not being seated right or being the wrong type isn’t something I would have expected. Good to know!

+1, and I would tend to agree.

Usually bad RAM would give some warning indications like random kernel Panics and system freezes.

Anyway, it's working now which is a good thing, and just needs the fan's speed to be controlled a bit better.

I wonder if a 7200RPM HHD was used as a replacement or a SSD???

PS:
    I realized the new HDD has pretty strong fan as it's really quite loud when it turns on reading large files
    BTW, the fan(s) in a MacBook are not included or part of any internal hard drive (HDD), but are separate, stand alone components.

- Patrick
    ======

Yes indeed - 7200 RPM HDD...double thick compared to the original Seagate...and MacsFanControl takes care of the fan very well (I assume HDD has the fan? It's an iMac not MacBook)...

Thread Information