Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1




Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74
  1. #1
    Question about laptop charger

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    Question about laptop charger
    I've been reading about the chargers for MBP going bad.
    Is that still an issue? Do I need to buy another in preparation?
    Or is there something I can do to lengthen the life of this charger?
    Retired and loving every second of it!

  2. #2
    Question about laptop charger
    MightyGem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Location
    Warrington, UK
    Posts
    2,317
    Your Mac's Specs
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.12.6. iPhone 5 iOS 11.3.
    Rep Power
    11
    Don't know. I've had mine over 3 years and no problems.

  3. #3
    Question about laptop charger
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,028
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Not exactly sure what was being read...or what exactly was being said about going bad. But usually the issue with the chargers (power supply) for Apple portable computers is the cable going bad.

    The insulation on the Apple charger cable (the cable that goes from the charger to the computer)...tends to split or crack if the cable is bent at too extreme of an angle...and probably gets worse with age. This happens especially frequently at the first 1"-3" inches from the power supply...and 1"-3" inches from the part that connects to the computer.

    Here's an example:

    Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 5.12.28 PM.png

    There are products sold that help prevent this. But usually...if you're aware of what not to do...you usually don't have too much trouble.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4
    Question about laptop charger

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    pigoo3, thanks. Yes, that's what I've been reading about.
    Was even thinking about wrapping those ends in a couple of rounds of electrical tape to help keep them stable.
    I just wasn't sure what was causing the problem, so was concerned.
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving every second of it!

  5. #5
    Question about laptop charger
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,028
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska61 View Post
    Was even thinking about wrapping those ends in a couple of rounds of electrical tape to help keep them stable.
    This is usually what many users end up doing AFTER they have a damage issue. But doing it BEFORE...certainly couldn't hurt.

    I have one MacBook Pro charger that did this...and I used some white electrical tape (think I got it at Home Depot):

    Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 5.25.48 PM.png

    Looks MUCH better than black electrical tape.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6
    Question about laptop charger
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,438
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska61 View Post
    I've been reading about the chargers for MBP going bad.
    Is that still an issue? Do I need to buy another in preparation?
    Or is there something I can do to lengthen the life of this charger?
    Hello Alaska - well, many different things can go wrong w/ the Apple chargers - my problem was fraying of the cord near the MagSafe connection - take a look at my experience HERE - received a free replacement under AppleCare warranty. I have two Apple laptops, MBPro & MBAir, the latter I take 'on the road' - so own two Apple chargers but dislike their LONG 2-part system, so I bought the charger below off Amazon, just the unit + a long cord w/ a MagSafe connector - easily packs and gives me plenty of cord length in the hotel room - always good to have a backup, BUT if you go this non-Apple route, read the comments carefully - there are SO many 'want-to-be' Apple accessories on the market which may fail to work or even be dangerous? Dave
    .
    Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 5.38.03 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

  7. #7
    Question about laptop charger

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    Thanks pigoo3. I will use that instead!

    And thanks Rad for the tip. I will buy something as backup, but don't want any cheap piece, even if this is a refurbished laptop.
    Retired and loving every second of it!

  8. #8
    I have had my share of Mac laptop chargers fail over the years and not just the cable problem at the magsafe end that is being described here.
    Some chargers just "died" for no apparent reason.
    Trying to fix the charger is pretty near impossible, for one the case is sealed and has to be cut open, and a genuine Apple charger is really packed full of components compared to a third-party charger.
    In general I found that Apple-branded chargers are not any more reliable than third-party chargers, but I prefer Apple-branded ones, even used ones on ebay, because of the control built into the power system that delays the power connection when you plug in the magsafe connector.

    One can tell byobserving the LED on the magsafe connector, on the Apple-branded one the LED will only light up after a second or so after plugging the magsafe in, on the third-party ones there is no power delay control and the LED comes on immediately - on some the LED stays on even after one disconnects the magsafe.
    I have never come a cross a third-party charger that has incorporated the power delay feature - if anybody has come across one I would sure like to know.

    My comment re Alaska21's question about buying a spare would be - it depends.
    If you are close to an Apple store and don't mind paying their price for the power adapter, you could just wait to see if you have a problem and if so, then get a replacement.
    Some adapters I had have worked for years.
    But if an Apple store (or dealer) is not readily accessible, I would definitely get a spare if you can't live without your Mac for a few days.
    Remember, once the power adapter fails, the operating time of your MacBook is limited.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hello Alaska - well, many different things can go wrong w/ the Apple chargers - my problem was fraying of the cord near the MagSafe connection - take a look at my experience HERE - received a free replacement under AppleCare warranty. I have two Apple laptops, MBPro & MBAir, the latter I take 'on the road' - so own two Apple chargers but dislike their LONG 2-part system, so I bought the charger below off Amazon, just the unit + a long cord w/ a MagSafe connector - easily packs and gives me plenty of cord length in the hotel room - always good to have a backup, BUT if you go this non-Apple route, read the comments carefully - there are SO many 'want-to-be' Apple accessories on the market which may fail to work or even be dangerous? Dave
    .
    Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 5.38.03 PM.png
    Dave - Two questions about the MBa charger you bought
    1. Does the LED come on right away when you plug the magsafe in or is there this short 1 second delay, and
    2. Would this work with a 2017 MacBook Air? The Magsafe on the one I bought recently is thinner than the older MacBook pro I have, but I thought the magsafe connectors on the 2015, 2016 and 2017 MacBook Air are the same.

  10. #10
    Question about laptop charger
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,438
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Dave - Two questions about the MBa charger you bought
    1. Does the LED come on right away when you plug the magsafe in or is there this short 1 second delay, and
    2. Would this work with a 2017 MacBook Air? The Magsafe on the one I bought recently is thinner than the older MacBook pro I have, but I thought the magsafe connectors on the 2015, 2016 and 2017 MacBook Air are the same.
    Hi Krs - the LED on the connector does light up immediately when plugging into either my MBAir or MBPro - the charger works on both laptops - not sure how important this observation is vis a vis your previous post but understand the concerns.

    This particular 45W adapter w/ a MagSafe 2 switch plugs into both my laptops (MBPro early 2013 & MBAir early 2015) and charges each. Concerning my original Apple chargers (two), except for the cord fraying described in my previous post, both continue to work fine although I'm using the replacement one at a 'charging station' next to my den chair. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

  11. #11
    Question about laptop charger
    Randy B. Singer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 01, 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    12
    Some thoughts....

    I've been through a lot of laptop chargers. The problem is that the wire is too large a gauge (very thin) and the insulation too skimpy, so in time, after being wrapped up over and over, it splits or has a discontinuity.

    I've tried several things to lengthen their lives....bigger end grommets, shrink wrap...nothing helped a lot; it's simply a poor design.

    I tried the knock off chargers on Amazon that RadDave recommends, and for a time I recommended them too. Because at first they seem insitinguishable from a genuine Apple charger. But these chargers only tended to last for much less than a year for me. Even worse, they tended to get VERY HOT while charging, and that made me afraid to use them without keeping them within eyesight. One even melted itself.

    In the end, I now just replace a bad laptop charger with a genuine Apple charger. It's cheaper than replacing a house that's burnt down. But you don't have to settle for Apple's full outrageous prices. You can pick one up that has been packaged for a bulk buy. e.g.:

    (get one for your specific model and year)

    https://www.outletpc.com/lg7308.html

    https://www.outletpc.com/hf4115-appl...r-adapter.html
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    In the end, I now just replace a bad laptop charger with a genuine Apple charger. It's cheaper than replacing a house that's burnt down. But you don't have to settle for Apple's full outrageous prices. You can pick one up that has been packaged for a bulk buy. e.g.:

    (get one for your specific model and year)

    https://www.outletpc.com/lg7308.html

    https://www.outletpc.com/hf4115-appl...r-adapter.html
    Good prices - unfortunately they don't have a 45 Watt magsafe 2 for the 2017 MacBook Air and the 60 Watt one which would work is spending an extra $20.- for nothing.

    Does this place get different Apple chargers very once in a while?
    Right now I tend to buy used genuine Apple chargers as back up - did well with this so far.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Some thoughts....

    I've been through a lot of laptop chargers. The problem is that the wire is too large a gauge (very thin) ......
    I'm glad you mentioned "very thin"

    As an Electrical Engineer, we would say too small a gauge (even though the AWG numbers go up the smaller the cross-section of the wire is)
    In Europe they measure wire gauges by cross-sectional area in square millimeters, there the value of the gauge goes down as the wire gets thinner.

  14. #14
    Question about laptop charger
    Randy B. Singer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 01, 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Good prices - unfortunately they don't have a 45 Watt magsafe 2 for the 2017 MacBook Air and the 60 Watt one which would work is spending an extra $20.- for nothing.

    Does this place get different Apple chargers very once in a while?
    I haven't noticed.

    I know that Amazon sells genuine Apple chargers in bulk packaging for a good discount, I just can't put my hands on a link right now, and Amazon has too many Mac laptop chargers for me to go through them all quickly right now.

    Or maybe it's eBay that has them? I don't remember. I just know that they are out there. Three cheers for the first person who finds us a link.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

  15. #15
    Question about laptop charger

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    Thanks for all the help and info.
    If somebody posts a link for the chargers, will be nice. I gotta help a relative most of today, so will be gone/busy, but will leave Mac on.

    Mike
    Retired and loving every second of it!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a way to tell which laptop charger I have (wattage)?
    By Scoobie Newbie in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 11:16 PM
  2. Macbook Pro charger only charges when Laptop is shut down.
    By nialoedable in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 06:34 PM
  3. Damaged charger affects my laptop?
    By elili in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 02:49 AM
  4. Cleaning Charger Port on Laptop
    By stumpleg in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
  5. charger and laptop gettin too hot
    By borjasanz in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 08:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •