Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Question about laptop charger
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    What I'm wondering about is if one can tell from the picture (in an ebay auction let's say) if a charger is genuine Apple or not.
    I've purchased many a charger via ebay...they've all been used...and they've all worked great (knock on wood for possible future purchases).

I ONLY purchase from eBay auctions that say "OEM" or "Genuine Apple Charger"...and the #2 thing I look for is condition (no cracked insulation or fraying cables). When I receive the charger...I inspect it to be sure it is a genuine Apple charger (compare it to an original I have)...and good to go. If it were to turn out to be a knock-off or non-genuine Apple charger...I return it to the seller for a refund.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska61 View Post
    Dave, thanks for the info. I've been swamped last few days with a lot of paperwork
    I'm learning/enjoying my Mac and have the OWC url bookmarked.

Mike

Hopefully Mike, you can use your Mac to help alleviate some of that paperwork.

Just get the Mac to do most of the work, or at least help make it all a bit easier.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Would be nice, but been looking up financial records, etc from files. No way the Mac can help right now
    Retired and loving every second of it!

@Mike
    Would be nice, but been looking up financial records, etc from files. No way the Mac can help right now

You just might be surprised Mike.

Why no post what your project involves in a new thread and some m-f members may have some suggestions for you.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks, but no, these are some of my financial records that I have to find the paperwork

Thanks, but no, these are some of my financial records that I have to find the paperwork

Mabe A good sniffer dog would help???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Mabe A good sniffer dog would help???

- Patrick
    ======
    lol, that'll work, then I could say "hey, the dog ate it"!

works for me

Your Mac's Specs
    21inch iMac 2017 high Sierra. MacBook Pro 13. iPhone 5c& an 8
    Hi Alaska61, Another thought here, find some small bore "shrink wrap' in white, thread a couple of inches or so of shrink wrap over the small end of the charger cable up to the plug end and gently apply some heat until the shrink wrap does it's thing. Then repeat at the small end that connects to your lap top. Shrink wrap is more substantial than insulating tape and does not curl back or make a sticky mess; it should also last much longer than insulating tape; first check you are not obstructing the connector into plug on lap top.

Regards from Keith in Derby England.

PS. might be in the wrong slot! Sorry.
    Last edited by sllewk; 04-18-2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Wrong post???
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by sllewk View Post
    ...Another thought here, find some small bore "shrink wrap' in white, thread a couple of inches or so of shrink wrap over the small end of the charger cable up to the plug end and gently apply some heat until the shrink wrap does it's thing. Then repeat at the small end that connects to your lap top. Shrink wrap is more substantial than insulating tape and does not curl back or make a sticky mess; it should also last much longer than insulating tape; first check you are not obstructing the connector into plug on lap top.
    Hey Keith this is a great idea...but if someone is using the proper size "small bore shrink wrap" to get a tight fit...how does someone slip the shrink wrap tube over the charging connector?

I'm familiar with this sort of shrink wrap product (sometimes called shrink wrap tubing)...didn't know if this is what you were referring to:

Shrink Wrap Tubing.jpg

If this is not the product you were thinking of...please link us to what you were referring to.

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    pigoo3, simple really, just take charging lead to shrink wrap supplier and choose a piece that just passes over the smaller end of the lead; pull into required place and apply heat (but very gently) until it shrinks to size. Not done this particular job myself but have used the stuff in Ham Radio applications. very useful stuff but be careful with the heat! The stuff simply shrinks under influence of the heat hence the name shrink wrap. (By the way I am not trying to be facetious here.)

Regards Keith in Derby England.

pigoo3, simple really, just take charging lead to shrink wrap supplier and choose a piece that just passes over the smaller end of the lead; pull into required place and apply heat (but very gently) until it shrinks to size. Not done this particular job myself............
    You should try it and report back which specific shrink wrap tubing you are using.

I tried that with Mac power cables years ago - the shrink wrap tubing that would just barely fit over the magsafe connector didn't shrink enough to be of any use.
    Maybe there is shrink wrap tubing today that shrinks more.

Your Mac's Specs
    pigoo3, simple really, just take charging lead to shrink wrap supplier and choose a piece that just passes over the smaller end of the lead; pull into required place and apply heat (but very gently) until it shrinks to size. Not done this particular job myself but have used the stuff in Ham Radio applications. very useful stuff but be careful with the heat! The stuff simply shrinks under influence of the heat hence the name shrink wrap. (By the way I am not trying to be facetious here.)
    Thanks Keith. Yes I totally understand & am familiar with how shrink wrap tubing works (as I mentioned in my earlier post).

What member krs mentioned was exactly the point I was trying to make. If someone uses a piece of shrink wrap tubing that's large enough to slide over the magsafe connector...it may not shrink enough to make a snug fit with the charger cable. This is one of the main reasons many users that have a charging cable issue end up using electrical tape.

Magsafe connectors come in different shapes. But the main issue (for the Magsafe connector in the middle in the photo)...the shrink wrap tubing that's large enough to slide over the connector is probably too large in diameter to shrink tightly enough around the cable itself.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.30.14 AM.png

- Nick

It's the middle connector in the diagram above that I tried without success.

But I would think that maybe there are different qualities of shrink wrap tubing and some has a larger "shrink ratio" so to speak.

Knute

Your Mac's Specs
    Hello everyone, sorry my little brainwave was a waste of time but it did seem like it might work. as the school teacher said "Keith should try harder."

Regards from Keith in Derby England

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Agree with Nick and KRS, I have used Shrink Tubing for most of my life as a electronic tech and anything that would fit over even that Middle Mag Safe would never shrink enough to be tight on the wire. Only way I know is break open the Power Supply itself and unsolder the cable and then slip the tubing down the lead. That power supply is a pain to get open so be warned!

Thread Information