Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Question about laptop charger

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Thank you pigoo3 and pm-r

pm-r, nope, I don't wrap power cables like that video showed I've spent many years with computers since C64 and also ham radios. Wrapped lots cables.

The discussion has been very informative, and thanks to all for adding to it.

Mike
    Retired and loving every second of it!

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    For @Alaska61, and anyone who reads this thread, the way to reduce the risk to the connector is to avoid abusing it. When you plug it in, avoid kinking the cable, or having a sharp bend, near the connection. When disconnecting, pull on the plug, not the wire. When wrapping it, no sharp bends, and if you can, try to avoid bending it time after time in the exact same place. As you said, Alaska61, if you are familiar with good practices and follow them, the apple charger and other cables will last a long time. I've not had one fail for me. For travel, I have a reel called "The Side Winder" that works well to have a nice, compact bundle without a terribly sharp kink. You can see them here: https://fusereel.com

With reasonable treatment, the Apple charger should last as long as the Mac does.
    Jake

For travel, I have a reel called "The Side Winder" that works well to have a nice, compact bundle without a terribly sharp kink. You can see them here: https://fusereel.com
    Great idea thanks Jake and I loved the beginning of their ad:
    https://fusereel.com

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I hope this does not come off like some Fanboy post or me being an Egotistical person.

My first Mac with Magsafe was a early 2007 Macbook. I still have the original charger and not one issue. Wires look like new and I used that all the time and took it with me. I am VERY careful with my stuff and never abused the cable. Also my late 2011s magsafe is the original part and looks almost brand new and I purchased that machine used so who knows how it was treated.

I agree with all Nick said. If you use reasonable care you should not have any issues. The only issue I had with one mag safe is I was very tired one night and took my Macbook with me in the bedroom and passed out. I left the cable on the couch where I was sitting. I had taken in a Feral cat and it peed all over where the end was and shorted out the Chip in the End. A lot of people do not know this but there is an IC Chip in the end where the green light is. Otherwise never an issue with any of them including the Non Magsafe iBook G4 which I still own.

An example of not being careful. This very clumsy friend of mine treated his Macs like a idiot. His Macbook was all cracked in just 5 months with food hanging off it. Made me ill and he always brought it to me to fix it. His Magsafe Power Supply was dead. I found out why. He turned it over on his desk on the side and a paperclip stuck in the Laptop end of the Magsafe and shorted the pins. He tied to FORCE the power supply end in shorting it out. That was clearly his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    A lot of people do not know this but there is an IC Chip in the end where the green light is.
    If you are interested in the nitty, gritty details - here is a good article on that:
    http://www.righto.com/2013/06/teardo...f-magsafe.html

or from the same author on the Apple power adapter itself:
    http://www.righto.com/2015/11/macboo...ising.html?m=1

If you are interested in the nitty, gritty details - here is a good article on that:

Interesting, and quite amazing what goes into what appears to be just a simple connector.

I thought Apple just crammed a small gremlin in there that acted like a traffic cop.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I thought Apple just crammed a small gremlin in there that acted like a traffic cop.
    With a green & orange glow-stick.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post

Interesting articles. Thanks kris

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2

Well, I've been following this thread from the beginning and have seen the links given above - as mentioned before, I had bought several chargers from Amazon as 'spares' for my MBook Pro & Air (the latter for traveling), both were about $30 - each works, BUT as mentioned by others: 1) Charger lights (green or orange on the connector) come on immediately; not true w/ my original Apple chargers suggesting more complex circuitry as a kind of 'pre-check' - discussed in the links above); and 2) OEM chargers get extremely hot to the touch compared to my testing w/ the original Apple ones.

Based on a link to OWC given by Randy HERE, I perused their 'Apple' laptop chargers at $49 each and wondered why these were nearly 'half price' if indeed real Apple chargers - sent an email to OWC technical support and received the response below - apparently these are received as 'bulk packaged' at a reduced cost which is passed onto the customer - I went ahead and ordered a 45 Watt charger for my MBAir - I'll likely just donate my other 'cheapos' to Goodwill and let them decide their fate. Dave

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 8.12.23 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, no one responded to my previous post for whatever reason? BUT, I did order the 45 Watt Charger from OWC - just arrived today - looks identical to my original MBAir charger w/ the Apple logo embossed - the model number matches; there is a delay in the connector light coming on when attached, plus the 'warmness' of the charger is similar to the Apple one - THUS, I believe OWC's statement quoted in my last post, i.e. this is the same charger bought in bulk and sold at a great price - I'll buy these 'spares' in the future from OWC.

Now this 'spare' charger is mainly to come w/ me on trips - take my MBAir (so easy to pack) - NOW, will not buy a spare MBPro 60 Watt charger - that computer is now approaching 6 years of age but still working fine - just keep @ home - however, the next Apple laptop that I buy will likely have the USB-C port for charging - just a consideration? Dave

I was actually waiting for your comments after receiving the OWC bulk charger.

What I'm wondering about is if one can tell from the picture (in an ebay auction let's say) if a charger is genuine Apple or not.

After buying a charger, I think the delay of the magsave light when plugging in and no delay before the light goes out when removing, will ensure that the charger is genuine. I doubt a 3rd party design would buld this type of operation into their charger.
    But...would an embossed Apple logo "guarantee" a charger to be genuine Apple??? Doesn't take much for a 3rd party charger to do that.
    So I wonder if anyone by chance has a charger with an embossed Apple logo that doesn't exhibit the magsafe LED characteristic described above.

Your Mac's Specs
    I was actually waiting for your comments after receiving the OWC bulk charger.

What I'm wondering about is if one can tell from the picture (in an ebay auction let's say) if a charger is genuine Apple or not.

After buying a charger, I think the delay of the magsave light when plugging in and no delay before the light goes out when removing, will ensure that the charger is genuine. I doubt a 3rd party design would buld this type of operation into their charger.
    But...would an embossed Apple logo "guarantee" a charger to be genuine Apple??? Doesn't take much for a 3rd party charger to do that.
    So I wonder if anyone by chance has a charger with an embossed Apple logo that doesn't exhibit the magsafe LED characteristic described above.
    Hi Krs - well, not sure unless someone else 'chimes in' to answer your question - I'll likely just buy from OWC if I need an additional charger, however, not sure what my next Apple laptop will be relative to the charging port, so might be a different decision although I suspect that OWC will be there for us. Dave

however, not sure what my next Apple laptop will be relative to the charging port,

Maybe Apple will still be trying to figure out how to create a wireless charger for those laptops as well but may not have an actual release date until maybe 2025 at earliest.

But you'll be correct, OWC will no doubt have a charger that will work, and at a reasonable price, I'm sure.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Well, no one responded to my previous post for whatever reason? ... Dave
    Dave, thanks for the info. I've been swamped last few days with a lot of paperwork
    I'm learning/enjoying my Mac and have the OWC url bookmarked.

Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Well, no one responded to my previous post for whatever reason?
    Because there was no question in that post (hopefully I didn't miss one)...or nothing said was in error to disagree with. Just a really great informative post!

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information