Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Question about laptop charger
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska61 View Post
    If somebody posts a link for the chargers, will be nice.
    See if what you need is here:

https://eshop.macsales.com/Search/?f...694.1550975524
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

I have one MacBook Pro charger that did this...and I used some white electrical tape (think I got it at Home Depot):

On some of our Apple cables, at the first sign of any cable cracking trouble or even before I have been applying the hot glue gun glue (available in white or clear) around the cable and tapering it out while hot so that it acts as a strain relief for the cable at the ends.

It works well and looks good. Use some tools or gloves if needed, the glue is hot and can stick to your fingers if not careful.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Interesting fix. I have a hot glue gun. May give that a try.
    Retired and loving every second of it!

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    On some of our Apple cables, at the first sign of any cable cracking trouble or even before I have been applying the hot glue gun glue (available in white or clear) around the cable and tapering it out while hot so that it acts as a strain relief for the cable at the ends.

It works well and looks good. Use some tools or gloves if needed, the glue is hot and can stick to your fingers if not careful.
    - Patrick
    ======
    That sounds like a great idea.

What gets me is that Apple has not come up with a better design by now - this is a problem with the chargers that has been there forever.

But what surprised me even more is the "Snuglet" that MacSales sells.
    Now I have to spend another $15.- to fix a supposed flaw in the magsafe 2 design (although I must say, I have not encountered this issue)
    For all Apple laptops with a MagSafe 2 Power Connector
    Never be Powerless Again Old problem. New solution.
    Apple originally developed the MagSafe 2 power connector to prevent laptops from getting accidentally yanked and damaged. Using a magnetic connection, Apple designed the MagSafe 2 to safely disconnect from your laptop even when a small amount of pressure is applied to the cable. Although this design works wonderfully if someone should trip over the power cord, it does however, create another concern.

If you own a MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro with Retina Display, you might have noticed the power cord disconnecting quite frequently even when you don't want it to. Regardless if you're using your laptop on your lap, or on a sofa or bed, the slightest movement will disconnect the MagSafe 2 power connector and stop your laptop from charging - before you know it, your battery is dead.

Now, there's a solution.
    The Power is in Your Hands
    Giving Power Back to the People
    Introducing the Snuglet, a unique precision manufactured ring designed to sit inside your MagSafe 2 connector, providing a more snug fit to prevent your power cord from unintentional disconnections.

The Snuglet acts as a carrier for the magnetic field and keeps the power cable safely secured to your Apple laptop. Made using the finest materials and highest precision manufacturing methods, it delivers the perfect balance between retention strength and detachment force. Built to last, this handy device installs quickly, stays installed, and it's easy to remove for reuse on another laptop.

Get the Snuglet today and you'll never have to worry about your power cord accidentally disconnecting again!

What gets me is that Apple has not come up with a better design by now - this is a problem with the chargers that has been there forever.

The problem is not really the design of Apples Power supply adapters and associated cables, but rather the cable specs as Randy mentioned, that failed to use proper good quality flexible insulation.

We have used some of the excellent Moshi Power adapters and cables and not one of their cables have shown any sign of cracking or deterioration. Unfortunately, they seem to have dropped some of their older Mac compatible products that were also cheaper and much better built than the Apple equivalents.

Actually, our local Canadian Dollar Store Carries most of the Apple type power cables one usually needs and they last and seem to be built better than any genuine "Apple cable".

- Patrick
    ======

Interesting fix. I have a hot glue gun. May give that a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    That sounds like a great idea....

Here are a couple of shots of an older cable I just happened to have on my desk that I'm a bit embarrassed to display as it is far from one of my better-modified cable repair jobs.

Anyway, it gives a crude idea of the hot glue gun cable fix:

IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0316.JPG

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    The problem is not really the design of Apples Power supply adapters and associated cables, but rather the cable specs as Randy mentioned, that failed to use proper good quality flexible insulation.
    Well, as far as I am concerned the cable and the magsafe connector are all part of the Apple product, it's not just the power brick by itself.
    And part of the design is specifying the cable that is used.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Thank you Randy.
    I believe the one I have, and want, is the same as one at top of that url.

Your Mac's Specs
    With all the info being submitted, and beings that this is my first venture with Apple products, I have some questions.

1) Poor quality material used
    2) Perhaps bad material used through certain dates of manufacturing
    3) Are different manufacturing companies used for these, or is it just one company
    4) How much may be due to operator error
    5) Does continuous plugin time play a role in cables going bad
    6) Maybe it's just a combination of factors

I'm interested in taking care of my "new" Mac, so just curious if I need to be wary of certain retailers, or just hope for the best
    Again, thanks for all the info

Mike

With all the info being submitted, and beings that this is my first venture with Apple products, I have some questions.

1) Poor quality material used
    2) Perhaps bad material used through certain dates of manufacturing
    3) Are different manufacturing companies used for these, or is it just one company
    4) How much may be due to operator error
    5) Does continuous plugin time play a role in cables going bad
    6) Maybe it's just a combination of factors

I'm interested in taking care of my "new" Mac, so just curious if I need to be wary of certain retailers, or just hope for the best
    Again, thanks for all the info

Mike
    Maybe this thread and the comments give you the wrong impression.
    The quality of materials used and the workmanship of any Mac I have ever had is far superior to the Windows PC's from Bell we use in the office.
    The cable going bad from what I seen on the Mac used in my family is mostly because people aren't careful in how tightly they bend the cable right at the magsafe connector.
    The L-shape magsafe connector was supposed to address that since it comes out straight towards the back, but it obviously didn't do the trick since Apple went back to the T-shape for magsafe2.

I'm pretty hard on Apple when it comes to design or manufacturing issues because I think they can do better; I'm also paying a premium for Apple products, so if something isn't up to my expectations, I complain.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks krs.
    Maybe the questions could be summarized into what is the best action to take regarding chargers?
    Since I'm just learning about my Mac, I'm just trying to get info from all you experienced owners, and save myself some possible future grief
    Right now, I'm planning on using my hot glue gun AND buying another charger in case this one goes bad. Normal shipping is around a week to where I live, so would prefer having an extra one here just in case.
    I'm retired and live alone, so I'm the only one user, but with the memory I have, even with the led lit, I can forget about laptop being plugged in and move :/

So far, really glad I bought this refurbished unit

And part of the design is specifying the cable that is used.

Definitely, the specs for the cable should be provided and if any improvement is needed, which has been the case for way too long now, they should be changed and provided to the manufacturer.

I'm pretty hard on Apple when it comes to design or manufacturing issues because I think they can do better; I'm also paying a premium for Apple products, so if something isn't up to my expectations, I complain.
    And so you should, as I do as well.

And no, I do not put Jony Ive on any design pedestal to be worshipped!!! In fact I might sometimes carry a stick or two of dynamite in my back pocket just waiting for just a chance to use them on that pedestal.

Yikes, I can remember many years back when I used to be a bit of a Appl/Mac biggot!! But then some reality sense set in.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 03-09-2019 at 03:57 PM.

So far, really glad I bought this refurbished unit
    An excellent choice Mike. And what you actually ended up with is a personalized, custom, special Apple tech fully checked over Mac.

Not just an ordinary one off the assembly line.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Maybe the questions could be summarized into what is the best action to take regarding chargers?
    Step back...and take a REALLY really deep breath!

We've only been sharing some good info with you just so you know the weak spots. Just because we've mentioned this stuff...doesn't not mean there's a 99.9% chance you're going to have an issue.

if you want to do something proactive just in case...get some white electrical tape like I suggested way earlier in the thread & wrap some around the spots I indicated (or uses ome black tape if you want).

But you REALLY don't even need to do that if you handle things carefully.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

But you REALLY don't even need to do that if you handle things carefully.

And adding to that, Do not do what so many "Do it the right way" Demos show: ie:
    Proper Method of Wrapping Apple AC Power Adapter Cables
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Z5wxJBafM

DO NOT make an abrupt tight turn with the cable ends if wrapping it as such demos show. Always leave a large first loop and then gentle loops if the cable is going to be wrapped.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information