Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Question Forgot the password to a locked note, any way to retrieve the password or override it
    Hi all,

I recently wrote a note in the Notes app of my MacBook Pro and locked it, as it contained sensitive information. I have, unfortunately, forgotten the password, and now cannot access the note. I am currently running El Capital Version 10.11.6. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Forgot the password to a locked note, any way to retrieve the password or override it
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander2013 View Post
    I recently wrote a note in the Notes app of my MacBook Pro and locked it, as it contained sensitive information. I have, unfortunately, forgotten the password, and now cannot access the note. I am currently running El Capital Version 10.11.6. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm also using El Capitan 10.11.6 but have never used the 'password option', so just opened the app and selected 'Set Password...' in the Notes menu which brought up the screen shown below - then choose 'Learn more...' - seems that your only option is using Touch ID - do you have an iDevice w/ that feature? If not you are likely out of luck - my only other thought is that if you have a backup of the MBPro (e.g. Time Machine or other) that may have saved the note BEFORE you set a password, then a possibility? Maybe others will have a solution? Dave

BTW - your thread was posted in the Switcher Hangout which might not be on a member's viewing list - if you start a new thread in the future, pick the forum carefully so that you receive the proper viewing and help needed - just a suggestion.
    Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 6.20.26 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thread Information