Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Upgrade advice for MacBook Pro
    Your Mac's Specs
    MB Pro Mid-2012 13" 16Gb/750Mb SSD - macOS Mojave 10.14.5 iPhone 5s & 6s, iPad Air II
    Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    Not sure how much a hard drive would cost but I paid about 130 for 16gb ram from Crucial for my 15" MBP. The difference was startling. And then it died but no matter.
    16Gb Ram is 56 and the 1TB Drive is 254, so to be pedantic 310.00, still fairly reasonable in my opinion. But stuff only gets cheaper doesn't it?
    Last edited by Ozalid; 04-01-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Just give me what I want and nobody gets hurt.

Your Mac's Specs
    MB Pro Mid-2012 13" 16Gb/750Mb SSD - macOS Mojave 10.14.5 iPhone 5s & 6s, iPad Air II
    Just to finish this thread off and to say thanks for all the contributions, both funny and useful!

I installed 16Gb Ram from Crucial, which made a small difference, maybe more than I realised and just recently after getting a 'Black Friday' offer from Crucial on the CT750MX300SSD 750Mb drive at 126, decided to take the plunge on the SSD upgrade.

As recommended by Crucial I did a 'clean' install of OSX, importing my data after, which was a piece of cake and now my beloved old MacBook is full of p1ss and vinegar, ready to take whatever I throw at it and more, its such a pleasure to use I cant keep off it.

So thanks again to all and I hope you all have a Great Christmas and a crash-free New Year!

Kind regards, Al
    Last edited by Ozalid; 12-05-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well look at this, just came across this old thread and I'm pleased to say that I'm sitting here three years later on the same macBook Pro which has performed faultlessly for the past three years since doing the upgrades and I had forgotten how helpful folks had been to me with my upgrade questions. However, the reason why I'm back here is that my Mac has suddenly and intermittently started to go to my login screen when I am in the middle of something, its not a biggie but it is a minor pain in the ***, I'm on the latest everything and cant recall if this started on the latest Mojave 10.14.5 upgrade, does anyone have any (printable) suggestions please?

Kind regards,
    Al

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Can you be a bit more specific about what "when I am in the middle of something" means? I ask because I have set my machine up to go to sleep after a time and when I tap the key to wake it up again, the login appears (I have that set, too). But when I want to watch a long video (movie), I have to remember to un-set all that because "in the middle of" the movie, the timer goes off, it goes to sleep, login screen, etc.

So, what is the "something" that you are in the middle of? And what did you install or change right before the problem started?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Can you be a bit more specific about what "when I am in the middle of something" means? I ask because I have set my machine up to go to sleep after a time and when I tap the key to wake it up again, the login appears (I have that set, too). But when I want to watch a long video (movie), I have to remember to un-set all that because "in the middle of" the movie, the timer goes off, it goes to sleep, login screen, etc.

So, what is the "something" that you are in the middle of? And what did you install or change right before the problem started?
    Good questions, well I have just been on ebay and it repeatedly went to my login screen, I cant say I have noticed that it does it during a particular task, its just an intermittent thing and I wondered if it was a known issue?

BTW, I have run Onyx a couple of times to no avail, its really getting on my nerves now, I just enter my system password and it goes back to where I was no problem, its nothing to do with the screen saver or sleep mode, but something is triggering it.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozalid View Post
    Well look at this, just came across this old thread and I'm pleased to say that I'm sitting here three years later on the same macBook Pro which has performed faultlessly for the past three years since doing the upgrades and I had forgotten how helpful folks had been to me with my upgrade questions.
    Great to hear from you Al. Yes...first thing I thought when I saw that this was a discussion from 2016 was...who's waking up an old thread?? Then I saw it was you (the original thread starter)...and thought...this might be good.

Great to hear your MacBook Pro has been running well the past 3 years with the upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozalid View Post
    However, the reason why I'm back here is that my Mac has suddenly and intermittently started to go to my login screen when I am in the middle of something, its not a biggie but it is a minor pain in the ***, I'm on the latest everything and cant recall if this started on the latest Mojave 10.14.5 upgrade, does anyone have any (printable) suggestions please?
    This is just a guess...but could a setting have been activated where you need to login in after a period of inactivity? For example...this can happen when the "Security & Privacy" settings are set that you need to login after the screen saver kicks in or after sleep has started.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Great to hear from you Al. This is just a guess...but could a setting have been activated where you need to login in after a period of inactivity? For example...this can happen when the "Security & Privacy" settings are set that you need to login after the screen saver kicks in or after sleep has started.

- Nick
    Hi Nick,

No, I have checked all my security and privacy settings, there is nothing that could cause this, also it can occur several times in a few minutes or not at all for an hour, I think the only thing I can do is log the occurrences for a few days and come back here with the report, I don't like it though, I have had perfect performance since buying this laptop five years ago and I always worry that I might have an unwelcome 'visitor' of some kind.

Cheers,
    Al

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Is it possible a 3rd party app was installed...that might have a setting requiring these logins every so often (maybe as a security measure)?

Another thought...is this actually a login related to the Apple OS (such as a security login)...or could is be a login request from a website that might be open on a browser tab...or another open app? I know sometimes we may have 10, 20, or more browser tabs open at the same time...and maybe one of them wants some attention. Lol

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information