Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Mac computer arrived today: DOA
    So my first Mac computer arrived today, a new 27" 5k iMac, mail-ordered from an authorized dealer.

It appears to be DOA. When you power it up, it chimes, but the screen remains blank. The fans run at full speed. After a while it starts talking about doing a voice-mode setup.

Is this normal? I assume not but I ask, just in case.

So far I am not pleased, not by a long shot. $3,500 is a lot of money for a broken computer.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    You're right. That's a lot of money for a computer that doesn't work. (No, it's not normal.) Sorry for your trouble but it is under warranty so send it back and have them send you another. Who did you purchase it from?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    As a suggestion if you have to mail order, do it only with Apple. Depending where you are, ring the Apple Service number in the paperworkand I have no doubt they will ask you to send it back directly to Apple and eplace it.

Do not send it to the resller to be repaired. You want a brand new machine.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I bought it from B and H Photo, normally a reputable seller. There's an Apple store down the street. We'll see what support says in the morning (they're off for the holiday).

Thanks for the confirmation this is not normal.

Your Mac's Specs
    I shop from B&H in New York. They are a reputable authorized Apple dealer and will definitely make it good. Make sure you contact them early on Friday as they are off on Saturdays (Sabbath Day). The Apple Store will likely not give you a new iMac since you didn't purchase it direct from Apple. I don't know what the problem is with it and it may be something very simple an Apple Store genius can resolve, but if it isn't, they will direct you to return it to B&H. So you might want to think about that first. I would contact B&H first thing Friday morning and see what they say before doing anything else.

chas_m
    I just wanted to second Charlie on this -- B&H are a very reputable dealer, I'm sure they will make that right for you. Sorry you had the issue.

I'd blame "shipping issue" before I blame Apple or B&H. By "issue" I don't place blame on the shipper per se, I just indicate that in the process of being shipped it may have been in a situation where it was under forces that potentially did internal damage. Turbulence on the plane, a pothole the delivery driver didn't see, etc.

In the hundreds of Macs I've dealt with over the last few years at my job, the number of "problem out of the box" ones is .. one? And Apple replaced it immediately.

Your Mac's Specs
    A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
    I too highly recommend B&H. You will be well taken care of. That is what the warranty is for, but still a bummer. I would rather it break now then later.

B&H said they would replace it. It went back today. I'll report back here as things progress.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Thanks for the report. Keep us posted as that is not normal at all. B&H is a great place. Glad they are making it right.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannet2 View Post
    B&H said they would replace it. It went back today. I'll report back here as things progress.
    Good deal. Glad you took our advice and contacted B&H instead of lugging it to the Apple store. Believe me, it's no fun carrying an iMac to the genius bar. Been there, done that. Let us know when you get your new machine.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Remember, one rotten Apple doesn't spoil the whole Company, in spite of the old saying to the contrary.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
    I have purchased 6 Macs overtime (4 new and two refurbs) through the online Apple Store. No problems with any of them. Sorry for your experience, but I guess it is always possible for a bad unit to slip through in any system.

A follow-up: B&H replaced the unit with a new one, no problem. The replacement is working fine.

As an aside, I installed Win X for the first time in a Parallels VM. I remain pleased with my decision to switch to Mac.

chas_m
    hahahaha! Thanks for the follow-up!

Thread Information