Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MacKeeper

MacKeeper
    MacKeeper
    Hello. I am new here and I hope I am in the correct forum! My question is regarding the insidious MacKeeper ads and pop-ups. How do I get rid of them? We have had a Mac for many years and have never seen anything like this. We have not downloaded the program so that is not an issue - at least I don't think so. I am in those old age years (70+) and may not be using the correct terms, so please bear with me! Thank you!

MacKeeper
    Welcome to Mac-Forums..

In which browser and site are you seeing these ads and pop-ups? You should be running minimally the Adblock Plus extension on your browser, I'd couple that with Flashblock and Ghostery to get the trifecta of extensions necessary to deal with unwanted ads, pop-ups and content on ALL sites..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

MacKeeper
    I get them in Safari, Chrome and Firefox. OK! I have located the extensions for Safari, (didn't know I had those. Never checked "extensions" out!). I see Adblock but not the other 2. Google? I appreciate your help! Never stop learning!

MacKeeper
    MacKeeper
    Ashwin: I just wanted to clarify the situation ~ I may not have stated the problem correctly. The website for Mackeeper as well as other sites and ads for IObit, Detox my Mac, and a bunch of others continually just come up out of nowhere. When I enter a web address I am instantly sent to these websites and sometimes multiple websites "stream"by before settling on one of the sites above. It is like I have no control over where the browser is taking me. I did install Adblock and it still happens. Could this be a virus?

MacKeeper
    There might be multiple things in play here. If you just have pop-ups that appear from various sites or ads that automatically start playing. The extensions I mentioned should catch them and squash them. You can choose to allow certain sites to play flash all the time with Flashblock but that's seldom necessary since you can always click on the blocked flash (video or what have you) to play it on demand..

If your browser is being redirected to other sites when you search or something, that's known as a browser hijack and requires a different tactic to be dealt with.

For starters, clear the cookies and cache on all of your browser using the instructions here: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

Next, open up the terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal) and enter the following command at the prompt
    Code:
    dscacheutil -flushcache
    This will dump any state data in your DNS (Dynamic Name Service) so that you are not be redirected to places you didn't intend to go to. Close the terminal by hitting CMD+q.

Next, hit CMD+SHIFT+g to get the Go To Folder dialog and enter "/etc" in there. You will get a Finder window. Scroll down to find the hosts file. Right click on that file and choose Open With -> TextEdit and look at the contents, you want it to be similar to
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost
    If not, report back and we'll try to fix that up. Let's start with this and see where it takes us.

The links to the 3 extensions for Safari, Chrome and FireFox are below for your convenience..

Adblock for Safari: https://extensions.apple.com/details...ari-UAMUU4S2D9
    Adblock Plus for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...dilifddb?hl=en
    Adblock Plus for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/
    ClickToFlash for Safari: https://extensions.apple.com/details...ash-GY5KR7239Q
    Flashblock for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...aignabnl?hl=en
    Flashblock for FireFox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/flashblock/
    Ghostery for Safari: https://extensions.apple.com/details...ery-HPY23A294X
    Ghostery for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...mpeaniij?hl=en
    Ghostery for FireFox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/ghostery/
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

MacKeeper
    OK. Did all that and it looks good. Thank you for the links! I will report back it this doesn't work! I appreciate your help Ashwin!

MacKeeper
    I'm back again. OMG! Now I have even more websites that are invading Safari. These are totally new and are in addition to the original ones. What should I try now?!

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 27" (10.15), 2019 MBP 16", (10.15), iPhone X (13), iPad 6 (13)
    I use adblock and ghostery (I only use safari as a browser) and do not get any adverts.

are you sure you've activated them? click on safari, then preferences, then extensions and make sure you've toggled the extensions to on.

also, while you're in safari preferences, go to the security tab and make sure you've ticked the box to block pop up windows
    Johann Gambolputty de Von Ausfern....of Ülm

MacKeeper
    hijacked AGAIN
    I have done all that and the extensions were on and the box was checked to block pop-ups. I just got sent to 3 different websites while trying to get to this page! HELP! This problem seems to be growing exponentially.

MacKeeper
    I am still getting pop-up ads despite using adblock. I was just rerouted to another website while trying to type this reply.

MacKeeper
    Would Norton Power Eraser be good?

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    I wouldn't use that.

You could try this:

Download and install the "The Safe Adware Removal App" from here:

The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Tool

(courtesy of CHSAG on a recent thread)

Make sure you read and follow the instructions

MacKeeper
    Actually, I don't think there is a Norton Power Eraser for Macs. So, I did check out the removal tool you suggested but was totally freaked out about doing any downloading. What I did do, was turn off all the extensions I found which included Searchme and conduit search. It also disabled Adblock but I will worry about that later. Good grief! I thought Macs were safe from all this! Now I will see if this works!

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    it might look complex but if you follow the instructions then it does what it says - safely removes adware.

it sounds like you have 2 unwanted extensions in searchme and conduit search - you want to be deleting / uninstalling these and then turning adblock and the others back on.

MacKeeper

Quote Originally Posted by Marcy McPike View Post
    Good grief! I thought Macs were safe from all this!
    Our Macs are quite safe from most nastiness, but no machine is safe from social engineering trickery. Those extensions are on your machine because someone using the machine allowed them to be installed.

Thread Information