Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Need Mac Old-Timer Input
    Anybody here ever used Microsoft Word 6.0 (1993) for Mac or Windows? It came with awesome macro capabilities.

I am currently using Word 6.0 on an older Powerbook G4 (17" 1.67 GHz) to process a gigantic 4,000 page document with the assistance of macros.

I have a problem, though: That Powerbook is the last Macintosh computer ever produced that will work with Word 6.0. It won't work on any Apple computer with an Intel processor.

So I was thinking the other day...I wonder if the old Microsoft Word 6.0 Windows version (DOS, I believe) is compatible with Intel processors. If so, and I could get a hold of that Windows version of Word 6.0, I'd be able to upgrade to either a new Apple computer or a new PC for my word processing work.

Anybody know how that works? And if not, does anyone know of a good Mac forum for discussion of topics related to older Mac computers?

Need Mac Old-Timer Input
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The Windows - DOS version of Word 6 will only work on an Intel machine. But you can forget about it working on a Mac or even a new PC.

Some of our members have experience with old machines and may be some help to you.

Need Mac Old-Timer Input
    Your Mac's Specs
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    When Word 6 came out it was considered large and bloated. Personally, I thought it was great. Worked fine on my iMac with OS 9.
    Even if you could fine a DOS version, good luck getting it to run on pretty much anything available now. I don't know of anything currently able to run DOS or even Windows 3.5 and even if it could, don't know if I'd want it.
    Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proved innocent.

chas_m
    Finish the project you have in your present environment, and then start looking for substitutes. First stop should probably be -- wait for it -- Microsoft Office (the current version). Second stop -- LibreOffice (if option one doesn't work out).

Need Mac Old-Timer Input
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Ahh chas you are seeing the light!!
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Need Mac Old-Timer Input
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainDawg View Post
    Anybody here ever used Microsoft Word 6.0 (1993) for Mac or Windows? It came with awesome macro capabilities.

I am currently using Word 6.0 on an older Powerbook G4 (17" 1.67 GHz) to process a gigantic 4,000 page document with the assistance of macros.

I have a problem, though: That Powerbook is the last Macintosh computer ever produced that will work with Word 6.0. It won't work on any Apple computer with an Intel processor.

So I was thinking the other day...I wonder if the old Microsoft Word 6.0 Windows version (DOS, I believe) is compatible with Intel processors. If so, and I could get a hold of that Windows version of Word 6.0, I'd be able to upgrade to either a new Apple computer or a new PC for my word processing work.

Anybody know how that works? And if not, does anyone know of a good Mac forum for discussion of topics related to older Mac computers?
    I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. It's possible to get Word/Mac 6.0 to work on a recent Intel-based Mac using an emulator like SheepShaver. And it's possible to get a copy of Word/PC 6.0 to work on a recent Intel-based Mac using a virtualization program like Parallels or Fusion. But what's the point?

You can get a recent Intel-based Mac, and the very latest copy of Microsoft Office:
    Microsoft Office for Mac | Office For Mac
    and though you can no longer open Word 4 and earlier documents in the latest version of Word, you can still open Word 5 and 6 documents if you use the Open dialog box within Word, and the Visual Basic macro language is still the same also.

Note that while LibreOffice, and the other similar OpenOffice-based suites, are very nice clones of Microsoft Office, they don't use Visual Basic for macros. So your existing macros created in Word wouldn't work in LibreOffice. I also don't know how old of a Microsoft Word file their translators can handle. So, in your case, an OpenOffice-based alternative probably won't be satisfactory.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Need Mac Old-Timer Input
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Can you describe the problem you are having? I have Word 6 for Mac running on multiple older Macs (both 68K based and PPC based). I might be able to help.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Need Mac Old-Timer Input
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainDawg View Post
    does anyone know of a good Mac forum for discussion of topics related to older Mac computers?
    For forums related to older Macs, look no farther than Apple themselves! See:

https://discussions.apple.com/commun...classic_mac_os
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Need Mac Old-Timer Input
    Your Mac's Specs
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proved innocent.

Thread Information