Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Microsoft Keyboards on iMacs

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27"
    Question Microsoft Keyboards on iMacs
    So I have an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I really don't like the Apple Keyboards - Sure They Look Great but the key design is just not working for me - way weird! I've given the Apple Keyboards 10months of use now and yep they still annoy me! I want to go back to my Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000. It's only 18months old and I loved using it back then - miss it actually.

Should I get MS Driver Downloads b4 plug & play and IF SO what do I search for in Microsoft?

Where do I find out what the alternative keys are for the Apple To Microsoft Key Commands? Website Links? What should I search for in Google?

Actually, CAN I HAVE BOTH keyboards plugged in for use - so use the MS Keyboard to primarily type with but use the Command, Option, F3 & F4 for dashboard etc from my Apple Keyboard for those Apple Functions?

Many thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    You can fully configure an MS keyboard with the illelitype drivers

Software Downloads: Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000

So no need for the Apple keybaord
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

chas_m
    Microsoft also makes a highly-regarded line of Mac-specific keyboards, so there's a good chance you can have the best of both worlds in one unit.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27"
    Smile Software Download & MS Mac Keyboards!
    Awesome!!! Thanks so much for your help! You guys ROCK!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Like others have said, you can use that Microsoft keyboard with no issues. I have many friends with Macs and they prefer the Microsoft keyboard for their hands.

Your other question was can you have them both connected at the same time? Yes. I have a couple of Macs with Logitech and Apple keyboards both plugged in. Works fine.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27"
    Talking Plug & Play!
    So relieved to hear this! Plugging in now ...
    Thanks so much Dennis!

Your Mac's Specs
    MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
    MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 attached to my Mac
    I have a MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 attached to my Mac. Just updated my Mac OS to Mountain Lion=10.8.2. Now the keyboard will not accept the Mac keyboard shortcuts it did when I was using Snow Leopard. I downloaded the MS illelitype drivers Mac update, but the problem persists. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions and/or work around?

PS: I love this keyboard and mouse combo. Please, please, HELP!

Thanks.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Have you tried going to System Preferences, Keyboard, click on Keyboard Shortcuts, and check to see if your shortcuts are the same? You can make adjustments from there. I'm not familiar with the MS Keyboard you're using, but if it sets up a preference pane in System Preferences, you may have to go there to make changes.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
    Thanks for your quick response. I tried your solution, but problem persists. I tried the "keyboard" ID (press key to the right of the Left "shift" key). That worked for me with Snow Leopard, but not ML. I wonder if this behavior is rooted in the addition of Launch Pad. Something has changed in ML: When I downloaded the MS update for their keyboard, the Apple ML popup said it couldn't be opened because it was not available from the Apple App Store. I did the "control"+ click on the MS icon, so I was able to open the app. Whether it installed or not, I don't know because nothing changed.

(aside here) - I was totally happy with Snow Leopard, but I have an iPad now; I am a writer so I wanted to sync the two OSs on both devices so I could travel with my iPad from place to place and have all my additions and changes on both without using email. Not happening!

Talk about frustrating! I have an old wired Apple keyboard, but I don't like it, I love this MS 5000.

I'm open to any suggestions. And, thanks chscag for your help. This forum is the only info I could find anywhere.

Thread Information