Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.10.3 (12C60)
    Would this be a good back up for my mid '11 iMac? "Good" for my needs:
    I have a 500GB HD installed with 420 free, so I assume 1TB is adequate/ overkill.

Though it says "compatible for Mac" I'm sure it has to be formatted. How onerous is that?

Now if my iMac hard drive blows up and I replace it, will what's stored on the external mirror onto the new hard drive seamlessly? I'm asking if it clones, but I don't think it does.

Toshiba Canvio Connect II 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Black HDTC810XK3A1 - Best Buy

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Yes, that particular drive should be OK for backing up your iMac. However, it will not operate at USB 3 speeds as your 2011 iMac is USB 2 only. And yes, it has to be re-formatted as the drive comes factory formatted to NTFS (Windows proprietary format.) Formatting it is easy with Disk Utility. Be sure to format it as Mac OS Journaled (HFS+) GUID partition scheme. (should be the default) You can use the drive for Time Machine backups.

I also recommend you make a clone backup using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper on another separate external hard drive. That way, if your iMac drive goes bad you can replace it and then clone back from the external. By the way, your 2011 iMac uses a Seagate 500 GB hard drive which have been problematic. I had the same exact machine as you and my drive failed after two years of use. Fortunately it was covered by extended Apple Care and replaced for free by Apple.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post

I also recommend you make a clone backup using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper on another separate external hard drive.
    This is where you got me lost. Two external hard drives for back up?

By the way, your 2011 iMac uses a Seagate 500 GB hard drive which have been problematic. I had the same exact machine as you and my drive failed after two years of use. Fortunately it was covered by extended Apple Care and replaced for free by Apple.
    Wasn't the issue with the 27" models?

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
    This is where you got me lost. Two external hard drives for back up?

Yes. You need two EHDs. No point at all in having all your Backups on one EHD. Drive fails; all is lost.

So answer to first point is if you have more than one BU, the "rule" is one BU per EHD.

Second aspect to this question. Why two? Well most folks would agree Time Machine is a very good starting point. It does all the work in the background. Set up (easy) and leave alone till you need it. But Time Machine is not bootable, as pointed out above. Hence the recommendation for a second BU in the form of a clone. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) and SuperDuper! (SD) are the two most often advised. Nothing really between them. Some say SuperDuper! is easier to set up, but that advantage has been addressed in the latest version of CCC and, relevant or otherwise, CCC also clones your recovery partition.

So two quite different styles of BU. Advise having both; each on its own EHD.

(And that's really just the start! A lot of people have yet another EHD for storing iTunes & photo libraries and precious documents. It's only when you lose something that you realise how important that thing is/was in your life. Take my word on this!)

Ian
    Last edited by IWT; 05-14-2015 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Emphasis
    Ian

MacInWin
    dotdotdot, I used to question the need for two external backup drives. That was until the day my internal drive died and when I replaced it the backup drive failed during the restore process. I tried to recover the backup but in the end I lost almost everything. Now I have two backup drives. The two are refreshed twice daily by scheduling TM and Carbon Copy Cloner to run at noon and midnight. I use two different ways to backup because TM is NOT bootable, but a CCC clone is bootable. I test the boot ability once a month. I'm contemplating a third backup to store off-site that would be refreshed about once a month.

So, it's up to you. In the words of Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky?"

Your Mac's Specs
    Wasn't the issue with the 27" models?
    The 1 TB Seagate drives used in the 2011 27" models were the subject of a recall by Apple. Apple replaced them free of charge. The 500 GB Seagate drives used in the 21.5" 2011 models were not the subject of a recall, however, they too were problematic as I stated above. Apple replaced mine for free (Apple Care) but they replaced it with a Western Digital model. Seagate drives in general are less reliable as shown in many tests and history of repairs. Unfortunately, my late 2013 27" iMac has a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda drive installed. One reason why I'm kind of paranoid about making backups.

Your Mac's Specs
    Wow, oh my Gosh, if I have to back up the back up that's "space ship redundancy". I don't store much if anything of importance, I just want the convenience of a back up. One less thing to think about, if you will.

My hard drive (and iMac) is from August of 2012. I can't fathom any scenario where it would fail at the same time a back up put into service in May 2015. I'm not being argumentative, but this crosses the boundary into the absurd for my needs. OK, so sometimes the planets align and everything can go bad at once, I suppose!

Have I ever experienced losing everything? Yes. Even my precious iMac suffered a fatal gray screen of death where I had to reformat and of course I lost everything (cause of death was bad aftermarket RAM).

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, if you only want to make one backup, then go with CCC or SuperDuper. Both are superior to Time Machine for a total recovery scenario.

Your Mac's Specs
    The 1 TB Seagate drives used in the 2011 27" models were the subject of a recall by Apple. Apple replaced them free of charge. The 500 GB Seagate drives used in the 21.5" 2011 models were not the subject of a recall, however, they too were problematic as I stated above. Apple replaced mine for free (Apple Care) but they replaced it with a Western Digital model. Seagate drives in general are less reliable as shown in many tests and history of repairs. Unfortunately, my late 2013 27" iMac has a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda drive installed. One reason why I'm kind of paranoid about making backups.
    Guess I got lucky. Mine is a WD:

WDC WD5000AAKS-402AA0

Your Mac's Specs
    Yep, like I said above when Apple replaced mine they used a Western Digital. Later issues of the 2011 21.5" iMac models all came equipped with a WD drive. Still no excuse for you not to be concerned about making a cloned backup though. WD drives also fail.

Your Mac's Specs
    I have two more questions.

1) Can I plug the external hard drive into the USB port of my TP-Link router? That would be for decluttering purposes.

2) When restoring to a replaced hard drive, do I have to individually restore files, or can everything re restored en masse (bookmarks, settings, etc. ...)? This all with one external hard drive back-up disc scheme.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I don't know exactly how much detail you want at this stage given that you haven't a backup (BU) in place yet.

But, broadly speaking—if you use Time Machine (TM) to back up, does everything for you, once connected and started. The first BU is long because it backs up your entire system, files, folders, photos and so on including all your settings. Subsequent BUs are very much quicker and automatic. If or when you replaced your Mac's HD or bought a new Mac, you simply plug in your TM and it does everything for you restoring the system & settings.

If you backed up using a cloning method, first BU longish subsequent much quicker. Usually these BUs are initiated by you although there are options for timed BUs. You would most usually use the Migration Assistant (part of the OS X) to transfer whatever you desired from the clone to a new HD.

I have deliberately been economical in my summary of the operational side of restoring things because, as I said, you have to decide on your preferred method of BU (TM only, cloning only, both) and then make the BU.

We can assist you with setting up whichever BU you choose, in detail if necessary. And again, should the need arise, help you restore your system.

As to your first question; I'm not quite sure I understand you. Quite possibly my fault. Generally, one would attach the EHD via USB to your Mac rather than through a router and I'm confused by what you mean by decluttering. Unless you are saying that you intend to move stuff off your Mac manually to save space on your Mac's HD??

Ian
    Last edited by IWT; 05-15-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Expanded for clarity
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Decluttering in the physical realm as in I can hide the external back-up hard drive off my work space next to the router, which is also out of sight, if I can plug it into the router. One less wire to deal with, you know? Yes, my method would be Time Machine, not cloning.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ah right. I understand. Apologies.

The EHD used for Time Machine (TM) should be directly attached to your iMac. That is, into one of the ports on the back of the computer (not through a hub or router). This will probably be a USB port unless you have other ports such as FireWire. Even then, a USB connection is preferable.
    And, once connected, the TM remains attached all the time. So, okay, one more "wire", but once connected, it is left there. No un-mounting and re-mounting. Why? Because TM is designed to run in the back ground, backing up at hourly intervals for the first day, then daily for the next month, and so on. It does all this without interrupting your work or use of the iMac. You can manually add a BU if needed, on top of the automatic ones mentioned.

I don't wish to insult your intelligence by giving precise step-by-step details of formatting the EHD and setting up TM for the first time unless, of course, this would be of assistance to you.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post

I don't wish to insult your intelligence by giving precise step-by-step details of formatting the EHD and setting up TM for the first time unless, of course, this would be of assistance to you.

Ian
    LOL. Don't worry, my intelligence has already been questioned by a certain prolific member on this message board who thankfully hasn't participated in this discussion.

Looking at Apple's how-to, this is why I asked about plugging it in directly into the router:

"If you back up to a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme (802.11ac) [of course, I have neither], the initial backup may be faster if your Mac is in the same room as the Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme (802.11ac), or if you connect your Mac to one of the Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme (802.11ac)."

Thread Information