Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Help with compressing files and folders..
    Hi..I am looking for help as to what i am doing wrong when trying to 'compress' a file or a folder. i am trying to upload stuff to my mobile me and to compress it, I am right clicking the photo or folder to 'zip' it. the computer then zips it all up...but the zip file is EXACTLY the same size as the uncompressed file!

    what am I doing wrong, please? I am using mac OS X 10.6.3

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Help with compressing files and folders..
    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,163
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    Rep Power
    20
    If it's JPG format images you're ZIPing then they aren't going to get any smaller as they are already compressed. All ZIPing will do is package them into a single file.

    As a test create a folder with several large text filts, html files, spreatsheets etc. Then compress that folder and you'll see a bigger difference.

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

  3. #3
    Help with compressing files and folders..
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,262
    Rep Power
    24
    AS @mrplow said, certain files get compressed REALLY well (text usually) and others are already compressed..like MP3, JPG..and so on..

    Regards

  4. #4
    You're right, I'm sure. But I can sometimes shrink compressed files by stacking compression. For example, I've compressed a bzipped file with gzip or the other way around. I just haven't tried to stack-compress an image file. Zip's "-9" option tells the computer to try harder than usual to compresses files. Newer versions bzip2 make the machine assume that you want the compressed file to be as small as possible. Be careful, though, because compression-stacking can enlarge the compressed file. The good news is, even if it does that, the uncompressed file will be its normal size.

    See all the fun stuff you can do when you prefer a command-line to a GUI?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    AS @mrplow said, certain files get compressed REALLY well (text usually) and others are already compressed..like MP3, JPG..and so on..

    Regards

  5. #5
    Help with compressing files and folders..

    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Your Mac's Specs
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McEnaney View Post
    You're right, I'm sure. But I can sometimes shrink compressed files by stacking compression. For example, I've compressed a bzipped file with gzip or the other way around. I just haven't tried to stack-compress an image file. Zip's "-9" option tells the computer to try harder than usual to compresses files. Newer versions bzip2 make the machine assume that you want the compressed file to be as small as possible. Be careful, though, because compression-stacking can enlarge the compressed file. The good news is, even if it does that, the uncompressed file will be its normal size.

    See all the fun stuff you can do when you prefer a command-line to a GUI?
    Yeah...I'm sure you can redefine the laws of mathematics

    Look, if you combine every compression scheme known to humanity, you might get your 10 MB folder full of compressed files down to 9.5 MB...and only spend about an hour doing it. Probably not worth your time.

  6. #6
    Yeah, technologist, go ahead: Gloat, gloat, gloat. Everybody else does. My diligent new iMac squeezed hard enough to make my favorite jpeg portrait's eyes bulge. Unfortunately, the poor machine disappointed me by shrinking the 832,029-byte file to lackluster 798,632 bytes. Can't fault the guy for tryin', though, can ya?
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post
    Yeah...I'm sure you can redefine the laws of mathematics

    Look, if you combine every compression scheme known to humanity, you might get your 10 MB folder full of compressed files down to 9.5 MB...and only spend about an hour doing it. Probably not worth your time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Compressing folders
    By Macjones573 in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2015, 06:01 PM
  2. Compressing multiple folders
    By Macjones573 in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 04:12 PM
  3. zipping files not compressing
    By perks808 in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
  4. Compressing/zipping files
    By OnceYouGoMac in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
  5. Need help compressing files...please?
    By book_grrl in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •