Mac v PC question

Mac v PC question
    Just out of curiosity, (this may be a lame question), is it possible to transfer from a mac hard drive (music/pics/etc) to a pc? If so, how would you do it?

Mac v PC question

Your Mac's Specs
    13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
    Yes you can do this. All you have to do is transfer your files/applications onto a hard drive connected to the Mac, and then connect the hard drive to the PC and then transfer them there. And that goes same for vice-versa (PC to Mac). And there are many other ways but this is the easiest I can think of.

Mac v PC question

Your Mac's Specs
    10.6 on 21.5" iMac, 3.06 intel dual core, 4gb, 500 gb HDD
    But the file system of the drive has to be compatible with PC, right? I'm curious, too. For right now, my portable HDD works in the mac, but I had it with my PC and haven't reformatted it. But if I reformatted it, I'd want to make sure to do Fat32 so still compatible in a mixed environment?

Mac v PC question
    Your Mac's Specs
     13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
    FAT32 is compatible in both environments yes, but NTFS is temperamental on OS X (in fact I don't think it works at all).
     13" MacBook Air | 1.8Ghz i7 | 4GB | 256GB SSD | OS X 10.9.5 
     iPhone 5S | Gold | 32GB 

Mac v PC question

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    NTFS can be read by OSX, can be written to with extra software (like NTFS-3G or Paragon (I think is the product name or author) ) - I don't mind reading NTFS with OSX, but I don't really like writing to it (I've had some trouble in the past.

Fat32 would give you the most convenient cross compatibility for both reading and writing.
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Mac v PC question
    Your Mac's Specs
    iPad & iphone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    Just out of curiosity, (this may be a lame question), is it possible to transfer from a mac hard drive (music/pics/etc) to a pc? If so, how would you do it?
    in regard to music and pictures you should be fine an mp3 is an mp3 no matter where/how same w/ mp4. Pictures will read the same too.

When I talk about using an Apple for work stuff and typing stuff or receiving files like PDFs or Word files people still live in the stone age by saying its not "compatible" and I wont be able to open it.

Mac v PC question
    Your Mac's Specs
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyFIVE View Post
    in regard to music and pictures you should be fine an mp3 is an mp3 no matter where/how same w/ mp4. Pictures will read the same too.

When I talk about using an Apple for work stuff and typing stuff or receiving files like PDFs or Word files people still live in the stone age by saying its not "compatible" and I wont be able to open it.
    "Stone age" meaning pre Mac OS X days of Apple. Circa 2000 and before. Back in those days all of what should now be a relic all the things you hear about Apple computers were actually true. Macs were incompatible with everything else and intentionally so. Their hardware WAS overpriced compared with PCs, their OS WAS clunky buggy and crashy. Back then I swore I'd never buy an Apple product for those reasons and more. This completely (if slowly) changed around 2000 or so. Now, everything 'just works' and is compatible (with caveats noted above) with other OSes but because of the complete clusterfark that was Apple before that time so damaged people's perception of Macs that we still get myths and ignorant dismissal of Macs all over the place in the mind of computer users.

So now we can work with the Windows world, the hardware is more expensive, but not overly so for what you get and this is why I have an all-apple household (not office, that's different; I get paid for that and they issue me a PC) today, and yes I can transfer files around between Mac/PC with external HD's (though all of mine are formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled) and thumb drives, which I format FAT32.

Thread Information